𝐓𝐰𝐨

CHAPTER TWO:ELOISE

CHAPTER TWO:
ELOISE

SKYE STOOD THERE, PURSING HER lips as she glanced back and forth between her book and what she had made in order to keep the Avengers safe before she nodded to herself and closed the book. She looked down at the concoction before closing her eyes as she softly chanted the enchantment that would allow for the creation to work before opening her eyes and smiling in satisfaction at what she had created.

     Just as she had placed her book on her bookshelf, a knock came at the door. She turned back towards the table before calling out, "It's open." In came Avery Barton, a brunette who always seemed to have a smile on her face even though she had been through so much. "Avery, hello."

     "Skye." Avery greeted as the teenager entered the room deeper, looking around as a smile fell on her face before she stopped in front of the table, standing across from Skye. Her eyes landed on the bags filled with Skye's spell and cocked her head slightly. "What are those? Hex bags? You know, there's this show I watched one time―︎"

     "They aren't hex bags." Skye told the girl. She stopped herself and paused, looking down at the bags for a moment whilst Avery was just raising her eyebrows at the woman. Skye looked at the teenager and nodded her head. "I guess they are kind of hex bags? They look like that anyways. But not the bad kind, they're to help you not harm you."

     "Well, I would be a little concerned if you were making stuff to harm us." Avery joked, smirking slightly whilst Skye lightly chuckled.

     "Aren't you supposed to be with that boyfriend of yours? What's his name? Patrick?"

     Avery choked on her own breath as she looked at Skye with wide eyes, wondering if the woman was joking before realizing she wasn't and busting into a fit of laughter. Skye found herself laughing at the girl, though she was a little confused. When every caught her breath, she corrected her. "P-peter. His name is Peter. Or it was. I'm calling him Patrick for the rest of his life. So much better than Peter."

     Skye laughed. "I don't think he's going to like that all that much."

     Avery's smile seemed to widen at the thought as she shook her head. "No, no he's not. And that's why I'm going to do it. Because what better way to spend my afternoon than to call my boyfriend by his new given name. I can hear it now." Avery looked at Skye, meeting her eyes. "Thank you. Thank you, so much for that."

     "You're welcome?" Skye questioned though a smile was on her face as she cocked her head slightly. She didn't quite understand the relationship between Peter and Avery, but all she knew was that the boy made Avery happy, and after Skye heard everything that happened to the teenager, she knew that the girl could use a little happiness in her life.

     "Well, I better go." Avery sighed. "Steve said he'll be in here to pick up everything. I gotta go home and see my siblings because they miss me. Until next time, Miss Reva." Avery gave her a two fingered salute and Skye chuckled before giving one back and watching as the girl walked out of the room.

Not a moment later, another knock came at the door, causing Skye to glance up, opening her mouth only to stop upon noticing Eloise Gardener standing there. The two hadn't really talked all that much, and the woman with sharp vampire-like teeth had her arms crossed over her chest. As Skye stood there, staring, she couldn't help but realize that the two had never actually talked before.

     Skye swallowed. "Uh, hi."

     "Hi." Eloise greeted before moving further into the room. "Is this it?" She pointed to the bags placed in the basket and Skye nodded her head. She felt intimidated by the woman. An aura jumped from her body, screaming not to mess with her.

     "I, uh, I thought Steve was coming to pick it up? Avery just told me that―︎"

     "Well, Avery was wrong." Eloise answered. She looked up to meet Skye's eyes before a gentle smile found its way onto her face. Skye felt her shoulders suddenly relax as the atmosphere around the older woman completely changed. "Sorry. I hope I didn't come off as too intimidating. I just don't like magic. So, I was being precautious."

     "You don't like magic yet you live in a compound filled with magical people like Wanda and I." Skye cocked her head slightly in curiosity. "That doesn't add up."

     "Well, I know Wanda." Eloise bluntly answered. "You, however, I don't know. Which means I don't trust you." She grabbed the bags before looking at Skye once more. "But I suppose that's partially my fault. I've never really willed myself to come down here and talk with you. I have nothing against you, I just don't like people. . ."

     Skye found a smile on her face as she shrugged her shoulders. "Understandable. But with a boyfriend like Tony, that has to be a tough part of you to ignore."

     "It is." Eloise breathed. "But, he knows how I feel about it." She paused for a moment before meeting Skye's eyes once more. "Once we come back from this mission, we should sit down and talk with one another. I don't want to not trust you, and the only way that can happen is if I get to know you. So, after the mission, we'll talk?"

     Skye's smile widened as she nodded her head. "I'd like that a lot."

     "Good." She the nodded towards the bags. "Thanks." Skye gave a small nod before watching the woman walk out of the door. A small smile stayed on her face at the thought of possibly getting to become friends with Eloise. She'd feel a lot better knowing they were on the same side rather than opposite sides, especially seeing as Eloise intimidated her more than everyone else in the entire building. And that said a lot.

 And that said a lot