𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐒𝐢𝐱

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX:TRY NOT TO DIE

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX:
TRY NOT TO DIE

     "ARE YOU SURE THIS IS the only way?" Sam questioned, looking down at Skye who they had moved to the lab and had her strapped down to one of the beds. He had his arms crossed over his chest as he moved his attention away from Skye and towards the others.  He wasn't sure if he wanted to do this, but at the same time he would do whatever it took to make sure that Skye got out of this alive. He just didn't enjoy the idea of having to crawl through her head without her permission, but he knew this needed to be done.

     "Sure. But the other way would mean more pain for her." Beth explained to him. "We do it this way, it won't be as painful because it's Skye fighting against herself. This is simply a battle of darkness and light, you and I are just trying to help the light win." She walked over to Sam, placing a hand on his arm. "We can get her back Sam. We can't fight this battle for her. But we can help her. We can show her that she is not alone, and that we are right here."

     Sam nodded his head, clenching his jaw for a moment. "So, when we go in there, what are we supposed to do? Is there certain rules that we have to play by? I've never done the whole mind traveling thing, and if I'm being honest, I never wanted to." He sighed as he sat down on the bed that he would be laying on when it was time to go head diving. He kept glancing over towards Skye's unconscious body, watching her eyes rapidly move beneath her eyelids. He wondered what it was that Wanda had made her see. What was Skye's true nightmare?

     "Well, you said it yourself." Beth told him with the shrug of her shoulder. "She needs an anchor. And an anchor you will be. When we go in there we have to see what it's like first. We're going to be flying without a plan through this. But we have to stay alive. If we die whilst inside Skye's mind, we will die outside of her mind as well. And trust me when I say that it's not a fun experience. I've come close more times than I'd like to admit. Of course, one time being in Skye's mind thanks to you and Willow."

     "Sorry." Sam apologized, scratching the back of his neck.

     "Sam, keep her safe and alive." Wanda requested, glancing towards Beth who only rolled her eyes at how protective her girlfriend was being. Wanda sighed. "I know I'm being over protective, but I've almost lost you too many times, and I don't like the idea of sending you back in there, knowing what can happen to you. So I'm sorry if I'm being too precautious, but I'm trying to keep everyone alive. That includes Skye. But if she loses, I will do what it take to protect everyone here."

     "I know." Beth nodded her head, placing a hand on Wanda's cheek before pressing her lips gently to Wanda's hand. "Sam and I will be careful, and we will get Skye out of there alive without that darkness attached to her. We will do whatever it has to take. But Wanda, if you see things get too messy, you can't pull me out. You risk too many lives if you do it that way. We only come out when the job is done. Or at least when we're ready and we know we have no other choice. Do you understand?" Wanda didn't answer her for a moment. "Wanda, do you understand?"

The woman clenched her jaw, not meeting Beth's eyes for a few moments because she didn't want to make that promise. She knew she wouldn't be able to keep it. She wouldn't just sit by and watch her girlfriend get killed. Not again. Not after everything that they've been through. Wanda wanted to protect Beth with everything that she had. Beth had already been through too much, having been captured by HYDRA and having been on the run from them since she was a kid. They murdered her mother and her father died at war. She was the only thing Beth had left. But Beth also had everyone in this building. And that was the thought that made Wanda finally look at her.

     "Fine." Wanda finally answered her. "Fine. Just promise me that you will try not to die, please? That's all that I ask of you."

     Beth smiled slightly and nodded. "I promise I will try my best not to die."

     "You know, I thought that Willow and Nat were bad." Sam spoke up, making the two turn to look at him. He shook his head. "You two are worse."

     "That's what we were shooting for," Beth winked. "Alright, Sam. Are ou ready to get this show on the road?"

No. He wasn't. But would he tell Beth that? No. He had a feeling that she already knew that he wasn't ready. Hell, he was sure that everyone in the room could tell that he wasn't ready. His shoulders were tight and rigid, his jaw was clenched, his heart was pounding violently in his chest with anxiety. He couldn't help but think of all of the things that could possibly go wrong. How they could just be two more deaths added to the list that Skye already wished she didn't have. All Sam wanted was to Save Skye from herself. And if this was the path that would lead him to that victory, then so be it.

     He forced all of his muscles to relax. He forced his racing heart to calm down, and allowed a deep intake of breath to enter his lungs. He was ready. He was determined. And it was the determination in him that drew him to turn to look at Beth and nod his head. "I'm ready as I'll ever be."

     Beth nodded before the two laid down. Beth forced herself to go to sleep and Wanda walked up to Sam. She sighed before saying, "Be safe." And then she was sending her wisps into his brain, and darkness took over him.

" And then she was sending her wisps into his brain, and darkness took over him