𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐍𝐢𝐧𝐞

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE:WHO I AM

WHO I AM

THEY WERE QUICK TO PULL Skye out of the cage, Sam quickly pushing her in front of him along with Beth so that he was in the back. They ran back they way they had come, the darkness taking over their vision once again without any source of light. They had to find a way out, except they didn't know exactly how it was that they were going to get out. Not even Skye knew how to get out. And if Skye didn't know how to, there was a good possibility of them being stuck in her mind. And that was not something they were prepared for.

They stopped, not sure which direction to go in. A howl could be heard, not one that you would hear from a werewolf in the movies, but it sounded more like a wendigo. It was eerie, and it bounced off the darkness, surrounding them. Sam could feel Skye reaching out to grab his hand, scared of what was in the room with them before Beth took it upon herself to allow the pink fairy dust to gather in her hands giving them a little light. It was haunting, just to see the illuminating pink breaking through the dark.

     Skye swallowed thickly, her eyes glancing around as she felt a shiver run up her spine. Something didn't feel right. Her stomach was churning, an unsettling feeling creeping through her veins. She swallowed thickly turning her head slightly before carefully reaching out and grabbing Beth's wrist. The girl turned to look at her, confused. "Turn it off." Skye whispered, trying to keep her voice as calm as possible even though she was running off of fear. She glanced towards Beth, meeting her eyes before slowly repeating the words again. "Turn it off." And with the wave of her hand, the light disappeared and it was dark once more.

They all stood there in silence, listening to the sounds that started to rapidly surround them. Skye knew what was happening. She was quick to step out in front of Beth and Sam, pushing them behind her as she took on a protective stance. She knew that there was only one way to escape. It was the only logical way to get out. And that was to fight the battle she had been so desperately losing at for so incredibly long. A snap could be heard, and then a spotlight appeared.

Inside the spot light was Skye. She looked up, wondering where the random light had come from but decided against questioning it. The sound of heels clicking slowly against the floor made her look back in front of her. She watched as the dark version of herself made her way under the spotlight, stopping right at the edge so that it was just her face that you could see. She had an angry but amused smile on her face. Almost like she knew what was about to happen and how it was going to play out.

     "You thought you could escape?" She smiled, stepping fully into the spotlight. "Think again. You know that there's only one way out of here, Skye Reva, and it's a task so impossible you might as well walk yourself back to your cage and lock yourself in. Hell, if you do that, I'll even let your little boyfriend and other acquaintance go. No harm will be done with them. Well. . . in here at least." She chuckled in amusement at her own words, her eyes glancing towards the two that were hidden in the dark before looking back towards Skye.

     "What makes you so sure I won't win?" Skye asked. She didn't have much confidence in herself, but she couldn't let the dark version of her know that. She had been fighting an inner battle longer than she even knew. As soon as she had opened that book, speaking the words of dark magic, that was when the battle had started. An infection that started small but took no time in spreading and taking over every vein and blood cell in her body. It even took over most of her thoughts. And when she pushed back, it had only seemed to grow more powerful.

     "Oh, I know you won't." She answered. "We've been at this game for a long time now Skye. And I must say that it has been quite exhausting. I never really did enjoy the whole back and forth thing. I think that it's time that we finally decide once and for all who is in charge. Don't you agree?" She smirked, and Skye watched as everything about her turned pure evil. Her eyes turned pitch black, her smile turned incredibly and shockingly wicked with a ball of black magic appearing in her hands as she cocked her head daringly.

Skye was nervous. She tried not to show it but she couldn't help her hands shaking slightly and the sweat that was starting to coat her back. She glanced away from the other version of herself, looking towards Beth before turning her head to look at Sam. She could faintly see him, staring back at her with fear in his own eyes for what it was that she was about to do. He had been quick to connect the dots, and though he didn't want her to go through with it, he knew that she had to. So when their eyes met, all he could do was give her the nod of his head.

     Skye turned back to look at the other version of her, and she could feel the fear be replaced with determination. She clenched her jaw, narrowed her eyes and clenched her hands into fists before smirking slightly and nodding her head. "Let's get to it then."

Her opponent smirked before the fight began. It started off with magic being thrown back and forth. Some spells spoken others just being thought of and happening. Dark Skye was stronger, it was clear to see that. Skye was struggling to hold her own, but the thought of more people dying because of her made her fight harder until Dark Skye walked up to her, dropped her hands and grabbed her hair, pulling her head back and making a knife appear before placing it against her throat. She looked down, amused.

     "You always were weak." She spat. "I never knew why you were fighting me. I always made you stronger. I make you better. I didn't want it to end like this, I'd much rather watch you rot in a cell. But hey, if I have to watch you bleed out in order to get what I want, then so be it."

Skye was ready to take the death. But just as it was about to come, her eyes managed to catch Sam's, and she could see the pain of not being able to do anything line his face. She could see the heartbreak in his eyes. And suddenly she wasn't ready to die. She wanted to live her life to the fullest. She wanted to help people. She wanted to grow old. She wanted to have family. She wanted to love. And that opportunity was sitting right in front of her and she hated herself for only just now noticing.

     "I'm not weak." Skye suddenly spoke. "No. I'm someone that cares to much, puts everyone above herself, cries over every loss that she hears takes place because she's emotional. That's who I am. That doesn't make me weak. That makes me strong." Suddenly, the positions were flipped and it was Skye holding the knife to the throat of the darker version of herself. "That's the difference between us. You've controlled my life for too long, and I won't let you do it anymore." And then, she was sliding the knife across the other woman's throat, and then her entire world went dark.

" And then, she was sliding the knife across the other woman's throat, and then her entire world went dark