Chapter 5

'Emma, Emma!' Why is Dave the Head Rep calling my name whilst I'm sleeping?

'Do you need us to call an ambulance for her, Dave?' I squinted, aware of the naked pot belly and Bermuda shorts that were talking to Dave the Head Rep.

'Let's give her a minute to come round and see what she's got to say for herself, but thanks for the offer Steve.' Steve? How does he know all of their names already, and especially on my turf?

'Emma, do you want to get up now?' He whispered angrily in my ear. 'The Customer Service Charter, remember.'

I opened my eyes fully, realising that I was sprawled across the marble floor of the function room, staring at the brown ceiling decorated with pictures of urns and dancing nymphs. I must have fainted.

'I was doing fine until you threw me off by turning up out of the blue.' I grabbed at his blue and gold tie, dragging him down to face me, 'and maybe if you hadn't kept me up all night I wouldn't be so exhausted now?'

'My private life is not for discussion in public, thank you, and rather than putting the blame on other people maybe you should face facts and start to think about whether or not you're cut out to be a Rep.'

'Cut out to be a Rep?' I sat upwards, resting my weight on my elbows. 'I'm going to be a Doctor I'll have you know. Do you think I'll give two hoots about being a poxy Rep once this summer is over?'

'Oh yes, a Doctor, how could I forget?' Was he smirking? 'Well since you're so medically minded you'll let me accompany you to the local surgery.'

'But I don't want to see a Doctor; there's nothing wrong with me.'

'So you keeping saying, but I want a medical explanation for all this fainting otherwise that's it, you're going home!'

He pulled me up, dragging me by the arm and through the hotel foyer.

'What are you doing? I could be concussed. I'll have you done for assault!' I screamed at him.

'Yes, you could be concussed, which is why we are going to the Doctor's.'

I can't believe he's doing this to me, embarrassing me like this, and in front of my guests. That's it; I am so over this job. As soon as I get back to the apartment I'm writing my resignation letter. I don't care if it means going back to England and listening to Granny sob about how I've failed, just like Mummy did during her gap year and university.

'After you.' Dave the Head Rep held open the door to the surgery, acting all chivalrous all of a sudden, just because other patients are watching.

'My colleague here needs to see a Doctor urgently.' He lent over the desk of the reception.

'If she needs to see someone right now then the only person available is our student locum.' The receptionist declined to look at us, continuing to click away at her game of Solitaire on the computer. It's reassuring to see Greece's high standards prevailing in healthcare as well as the aviation industry.

'I'm not seeing an undergrad.' I piped up.

'We'll take it.' Dave the Head Rep ignored me, 'you'll see anyone who has an ounce of common sense and is willing to take a look a look at you. Now sit down and wait to be called.'