Chapter 40

Sneaking a peek over the top of my obstetrics textbook, I watched as Harry lined up two martini glasses on the bar's surface, expertly filling them with a rainbow of different liquids. He was actually quite good at it, twirling the shaker in his left hand before flicking it over and pouring with his right, then topping it off with mountain of squirty cream, a sparkler and that damned plastic monkey that seems to be a standard part of every Mediterranean cocktail. Not that I will ever accept that someone who has mastered even the highest level of this skill is worthy of the suffix 'ologist'.

But yes I admit it, I am finally here. I have made it across the threshold of Zorb's bar alone, without being ambushed by my mother, no Liam making bizarre ramblings about fires, not a hint of Rebecca and her over exposed underwear, and definitely no sight of Dave the Head Rep since he has finally been banned from the vicinity after being caught try to let loose a local rodent family in the kitchens, yet another point on his quest to get back at Adonis.

'It would be cruel to waste may time?' Harry had laughed on hearing my explanation of the rationale for declining his offer to join him at Zorb's. 'Lighten up Emma, I'm only asking you to come for a drink. I'm not asking to marry you.'

'I know you're not.' I scoffed, secretly hurt that his feelings for me are nothing more than of the moment.

'Then you'll come, right?' He was persistent and he was bringing out the big guns with his oh so good looking charm again, smiling all over the place, flashing his dimples and that twinkle in his eye. I really wish he wouldn't do that for it makes turning him down even harder.

'Okay, I'll bring my obstetrics textbook, I could do with the revision.' I'm such a weak and loathsome human being letting him charm me so easily.

'Obstetrics textbook?' He could at least try not to laugh so much. 'You haven't even enrolled yet.' This was the second time he'd pointed this out and it was beginning to annoy me.

'That might be so, but if I want to be an obstetrician then I need to know that book word for word, inside out.'

Except now that I'm actually here at Zorb's, trying to use it as a barrier for pretending that I'm not secretly ogling at Harry, I've realised that not only is the chapter on pelvic abnormalities really boring compared to studying the flex in Harry's arm muscles each time he twirls a different bottle, but it is actually very heavy too. If only I could be normal like everyone else and brought some racy paperback like '50 Shade of Grey' whilst seductively sucking a cherry off the end of a cocktail stick, but oh no, I have to bring a textbook underpinning the future of my career with me. He must think I'm a complete dweeb.

'I can't believe they actually let you bring this on the plane with you.' He grabbed at the book, lifting it up and down a few times. God his biceps were so tanned and gently rounded to perfection.

'See I told you it would be quiet tonight.' Thank God he moved on from the book, quickly placing it back in the table before he caused himself a fright and opened it on to one of the many pages showing a picture of an infant being expelled from its mothers vagina in a variety of positions. But instead he was taking the chair next to me. He was actually sitting down, just the two of us and no-one was fighting and I wasn't ragingly drunk. Instead I was freaking out, suddenly consumed by anxiety at realising this is the first time I have been alone with him in a civilised setting, and now with all the bickering and alcohol stripped away all I can feel is overwhelming intimidation at how intense both his looks and presence are.

'So can I get you another drink?' He stood up quickly, rubbing the palms of his hands together. If this wasn't Harry and I didn't know how cocky he is then it almost looked like he might be nervous too. But what does he have to be nervous about? He's probably the best looking man I've ever seen in real life (although granted the bar for that standard may not be very high), and he always has a constant harem of girls hankering after him, just like the ones who've cornered him now, like the four vampiresses of Dracula's castle, wafting their overgrown fake eyelashes, jangling their handkerchief covered bosom's and flashing their fangs, clambering at him to join them in their lair.