Chapter 22

'Emma!'

A male voice broke me from the melodrama that was occurring in my mind, a silent tornado that only I could see, for the confusion which was now spread across Harry's face indicated that he certainly couldn't.

'Earth to Emma.'

Again the same voice, but now closer in proximity. It was definitely male, but much softer and more refined in inflection than to be Dave the Head Rep chasing after me with some unrealistic demand about hotel housekeeping, something which would actually be a welcome annoyance at this moment, for he at least I can just shout at and tell him to bog off without the worry of hurting his reptilian feelings.

'Oh hi Liam.' I turned to face him, fully aware that I had abandoned my panicked impasse with Harry, leaving him now glaring, either in to the back of my head or at Liam. 'Sorry I was just day dreaming; too much sun on the brain again.' I jested, poorly even for me.

'Well if you want to clear your head why not join me on my run? I'm just going over the headland to Acharavi and back.'

Just over the headland? He says it so casually like he's just going to fetch his morning paper. And why would he think I'd want to engage in anything as strenuous as going for a run at the best of times, but especially now when I'm wearing a Wonderbra and tight jeans? But apparently, judging by the running shorts and sports vest he's wearing, and the way he's still hopping about on the spot, like a dog with an itch, he's being serious.

'I've been meaning to catch-up with you by the way,' Phew, my death glare has worked and he's changed the subject, 'and I wondered if you fancied watching the fires again, if it wasn't too boring for you last time, and I can tell you all about foundation medical science.'

Holy crow, talk about putting me on the spot. For months now the only male company I've had is Dave the Head Rep squawking his client centred mumbo jumbo in my ear and dodging that wet squib Gavin from Sidari at the airport, but here I am now, dreamboat number 1 looking all doe eyed and dejected at me from the bar, and dreamboat number 2 prepared to break from his clearly intense workout routine and engage me in debate about my favourite subject. This Wonderbra really was quite the investment. Yet instead of glee at the power of my female prowess all I am feeling is a sudden pressure banging on my temple, like something, someone, is knocking on the door of my brain; all I've got to do is figure out who to let in. Maybe if I just pretend I didn't hear him, in fact I've not even seen him, then I can just casually wonder off in to the ocean and delay having to provide either of them with an action.

'So what do you think? I could meet you back here in thirty minutes? Unless you're already doing something of course; you look like you might be.'

Am I already doing something? I glanced back at Harry who was determinedly still waiting next to the bar with his arms crossed and awaiting his own answer. An answer to a question that I'm not sure he's asked. Is he ever going to ask?

'I, I.....' Think brain, be logical. It was only fifteen minutes ago that I resolved to catch-up with Liam anyway, but a lot can change in fifteen minutes, especially when...

'Emma, darling!'

The pressure building up on my brain finally burst as the rock came hurtling in to my head. How is it possible that I am still standing? But worse still, how is it possible that my mother is here?