Chapter 31

'That stuff you got for me is amazing,' Katie touched at my arm gratefully, 'I still can't believe you'd do that for me. You're such a good friend.'

'Neither can I, and yes I am.' I shuddered at the memory of three days earlier when under a cape of clandestine, I had visited Dr Kostopolous, an appointment scheduled to coincide with Liam's home visits, thus meaning he wouldn't be around to question me on the purpose of my illicit visit.

'You English girls are so easy,' Dr Kostopolous had laughed at me as he handed me the prescription for antibiotics to help relieve the incessant burning I had so convincingly described, 'be sure to use a condom next time.' He was grinning, eww, although chance really would be a fine thing.

'Are you okay Emma?' Liam handed me a glass of wine, joining Katie and me at our table. 'You look kind of pale.'

'Yeah, I'm fine. I just need a drink.' I gulped down at my glass of wine, its alcohol necessary if only to drag my mind from contemplating such murky questions as how did Katie and Dave even get this thing, and why would they find it necessary to confide in both myself and Liam?

'You know you really don't have to put yourself through the torture of "Reps night".' I said to Liam, guilty that he might actually just be here in the hope of spending time with me. 'I'm sure you have a ton more interesting stuff to be doing, plus at least Katie and I are getting paid for the joy of hanging out with Dave the Head Rep and Gavin from Sidari whereas I'm afraid Dave will be too tight to pay you.'

'It's okay don't worry, of course I want to be here, if only to protect you from Gavin from Sidari,' he grinned sweetly, 'plus we've not really had a chance to speak to each other since, well, we had dinner with your parents, so I thought we might have plenty to catch up on.'

'Don't even talk to me about my stupid mother.' I grimaced, eager to distract the conversation from any reminiscence about that pathetic night, especially since denial has been working just fine for me up to now.

'She wasn't so bad, in fact I think she was actually quite funny, especially when she poured a glass of Sex on the Beach over Harry.' He chuckled to himself remembering the obvious hilarity of my mothers melodrama.

'She did what???' I'm mortified. Why hasn't anyone mentioned this to me until now? Why hasn't my mother thought to tell me?

'I don't know what he'd done to her to make her so cross but she was certainly clear that she doesn't like him.'

'Don't look now but Casanova numero due has just arrived.' Katie lent over whispering in to my ear as Liam continued giggling to himself.

'Gavin from Sidari is hardly Casanova worthy,' I glared at her disgusted.

'Then it's a good thing it's not Gavin from Sidari that I'm talking about, but whoever it is they are looking right over here, and you are definitely not going to like who he's with.' I felt a sharp intake of breath as I turned my head slowly, attempting to steal a glance coyly.

'She is such a little bitch.' Katie was muttering, but even her harsh words weren't enough to save me from the burning. He was glaring at me. 'Are you listening to me?' Katie prodded at my elbow. 'She just throws herself at any man.'

'Who does?' My thoughts lacked clarity.

'Rebecca, duh. She just arrived with Harry.'

'But I thought you liked Rebecca, I thought you said I was the one being paranoid about her?'

'I never said that, and even if I did a person has a right to change their opinion, so if I were you I'd be heading over there to defend your man.'

'He is not my man!' I hissed.

'Whatever, but the longer you let him hang around with her then the less chance you've got.'