Ch 61: Canada

"Renesmee?" Said Rosalie, startled upon seeing me. "What are you doing here?"

I flushed. I had hours to think about it and nothing I could come up with made me sound rational. I knew that Rosalie was the last person to encourage me to work things out with Jacob, but she also didn't want me to be unhappy. Either way, I wasn't in the mood to explain everything to her or anybody. I had lived my whole life with a complete and utter lack of privacy, but the last few months I'd grown to like living without other people constantly in my business. There was a part of me that desperately wanted to talk about this with someone however, and I knew I would have to talk to Rosalie eventually. She was probably the only person I trusted to be unbiased since she had two conflicting motivations. Truthfully, I knew what I wanted, but this was all too intense for me. It was too much too soon, too passionately. Jacob had always been in my life but this love for him came crashing in like a comet. His bright glow too powerful for me to get away from, and so much of myself told me I didn't want to anyway. It was terrifying.

"Hi Rosalie," I said finally, unable to stop the tears beginning to well in my eyes. It was a mixture of sleep deprivation and raw emotion that kept me from being able to contain myself.
She once again looked startled, her eyes going wide then immediately soft and full of concern.

"Oh Renesmee," she said, taking a step forward, her arms outstretched. I couldn't hold it in any longer, and without thinking I dropped my bags and covered my face with my hands, letting my sobs out.

Rosalie embraced me and led me inside.

"Is that Renesmee?" I heard Esme's familiar voice call.

"Yes," answered Rosalie. "Hold on Esme, I'm taking her to the guest room. I think she needs a minute to rest before she sees anyone. The girl forgets she's still part human."

The casual tone in Rosalie's voice eases things but it was clear that whoever else was in the house must have known there was something wrong, Esme especially.

Before I could process what was going on, I was sitting on the plush almost completely unused bed in the guest room. Everybody knew the only purpose behind the guest room was for when my parents brought us here to visit.

"Renesmee," Rosalie said again, a gentle hand on my shoulder.

I looked up at her, wiping the tears from my eyes.
"I'm sorry," I murmured.

Rosalie shook her head. "You have nothing to be sorry about. I'm just shocked you're here. I got off the phone with your parents only a few moments ago."

"Alice," I surmised.

Rosalie nodded.

"How mad are they?"

Rosalie bit her lip. "Well they aren't pleased."

I closed my eyes briefly and drew in a deep breath to steady myself.
"I didn't think they would be."

Rosalie studied me for a minute before speaking. "I don't mean to be insensitive, but I think I know what this is about."

I raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean?"

"This is about Jacob isn't it?" She asked, though her tone suggested it wasn't a question she needed me to answer.

I didn't.

"I see," she said. "It is all very ridiculous. I know we should have told you about all this years ago. It could have given you more time to process this."

I sighed. "It doesn't matter now. It would have been hard either way. I couldn't have truly understood what imprinting meant or how things would change as I got older."

Rosalie bobbed her head. "That may be true. But, I don't think anybody, not even the mongrels themselves know what Imprinting really means or how to explain it unless you've felt it."

I raised an eyebrow at her again. "Are you actually defending the werewolves?" I couldn't help but give a hint of a mocking tone.

She looked vaguely amused. "I wouldn't say defending. My only point is that I think you need to see that there are simply things we can't explain."

There was a long pause between us. It wasn't precisely uncomfortable but I felt like I needed to fall over and sleep for a year. I was so mentally and physically exhausted, which was something I didn't feel often.

"We don't have to talk about it now," Rosalie said, breaking the silence. "Get some rest. I'll let everyone know you were tired from driving and you can socialize with the family when you feel up to it. You know they'll all love to see you no matter what."

I nodded, sniffling.

"There's a shower over there, as you know." She gestured to the bathroom off the left wall. "I suggest you use it, it might help, and then take a rest. You've been driving for hours and I doubt you took a break." Her tone was almost scolding, but I knew it came from a place of concern.

"Okay," I replied. "Thank you." With that, I shuffled my way over to the bathroom, and turned the water heat as high as it would go. As I stepped into the shower, the warmth of the water enveloped me, heating my cold skin, all I could think about was how Jacob's warm arms felt around me in the same calming embrace.