Ch 39: Argument

~~~hey guys! In honor of the holiday I'm posting a new chapter early. Happy Thanksgiving ! Hope everyone's staying safe! XOXO~~~

It took a little while for the ambulance to show up. There were very few people who were able to drive. Everyone apparently had some kind of designated driver, but nobody wanted to be the one to explain why Lizzie needed the hospital once they took her there. Everyone rushed to clean up their garbage and hide all the evidence before the paramedics showed up. Lizzie fell in and out of consciousness a couple times. She was never terribly coherent, but I was at least happy she was alive and breathing.

After I explained the situation to the paramedics, they took Lizzie away to the hospital. I was slightly relieved that she would be in better hands than mine, but then my anxiety resurfaced when I realized I had to go home and discuss what on Earth happened tonight. I followed some people down the trail and back to the school parking lot. Unsurprisingly, I saw Jacob waiting for me on the motorcycle. It wasn't exactly inconspicuous, but the motorcycle was the fastest thing. I waved goodbye to my friends and without another word, hopped on the bike. I tried not to think about how I was holding onto Jacob while we rode home. In light of what happened, my feelings for Jacob were the least relevant thing.

Once we reached the house, Jacob and I rushed inside where my parents were waiting for us. Neither of them looked particularly pleased, but I couldn't imagine why they would be upset with me. They had to have been upset by the situation or what happened because it wasn't like I had put myself in any serious danger. It was only because Vladimire and Stefan showed up that there was any danger.

"Young Lady," Edward practically growled. "Why didn't you answer your phone!? You know how worried your mother and I were that something had happened to you?"

I barely had a moment to take everything in before being bombarded by them both.

"What?" was all I managed to get out. Apparently that wasn't the right thing to say.

"What? That's all you have to say? Alice saw a vision and she tried calling you and then after she told us we tried calling you and you didn't answer! We thought they might have gotten to you already!"

"I'm sorry," I stuttered, hurt that they were clearly mad at me. "I couldn't hear my phone with everyone talking and then I got distracted by Lizzie before I could call you back."

"And that girl!" exclaimed Edward. "She saw Jacob didn't she?!"

I blushed, recalling the event in my head which Edward no doubt could also see through my memory. "She probably thinks it's all a dream. I'll talk to her when she's better and after the doctors look at her."

"Renesmee, this is serious," chimed in Bella. "We can't be so careless, and clearly our presence is attracting the wrong kind of attention."

That reminded me. "Why on Earth were they here? What did they want?"

Bella shook her head. "We're not sure. Not even Alice is sure why they came, but she did see them killing your friend and dragging you off. I can't have that Renesemee, you're obviously in danger. We need to get out of Forks as soon as possible."

My eyes widened. "What?! We can't leave!"

Both Bella and Edward gaped at me, shocked. "What are you talking about? Of course we have to leave! Do you want them coming back here and killing all your friends? We could be implicated if they do something or expose our secret."

"I don't want to leave Forks! I have friends and I'm finally starting to fit in. I don't want to go away." I knew I sounded like a petulant child, but I didn't care at that moment. I'd just been through something rather distressing and before I could even breath they were already ready to pack up and leave!?

Both of them looked like they were trying to find the words to explain tactfully to me why I was being unreasonable.

"Why don't we just wait and talk about this when we've all calmed down. Maybe we don't have to leave?" suggested Jacob.

"Stay out of this Jacob!" growled Edward.

I was shocked by this outburst. "Don't get mad at Jacob!" I demanded. "It's not his fault you both are jumping to conclusions! Why don't we talk to Alice again and see what she has to say?"

Bella closed her eyes and drew a deep breath. "Fine, we'll talk to Alice. But if she says you're in danger then I'm sorry Renesmee but I don't care what you want. I won't let my only daughter get killed because she wants to go to High School, which she can do anywhere!"

"Fine!" I spat back. "Jacob, can you come with me to the cottage?" I wanted to go do something normal and simple like watch a movie or relax on the couch away from my parents, but I needed some company. I didn't really want to be alone after everything, and despite how weird I felt around Jacob sometimes nowadays, he was nice to have around.

"No," said Bella firmly. This surprised me. "Jacob, you stay here. We need to talk to you for a minute. Go Renesmee."

"What? But why-?" Before I could even finish my sentence I was met with a harsh "Go!" from Bella. I groaned and did as I was told. I was in no mood to argue with either one of them anymore, and I didn't want to provoke them. The last thing I wanted to do was leave, and if they were angry then my chances of staying would be slimmer.

I marched angrily towards the cottage in the woods. I knew it probably wasn't the smartest thing to be alone out in the woods again, but I didn't really care. I slammed the door behind me and took a deep breath. "You're ridiculous," I sighed to myself. I decided it was best to brew some herbal tea and read a book to calm down. While I waited for the kettle to boil, I was surprised to see Jacob entering through the front door of the cottage, a worried and anxious expression on his face.

My eyebrows furrowed. "Everything okay?" I asked, concerned.

He sighed. "Look Ness, there's something we need to talk about."

I sat up from the couch. "Alright, about what?"

He sat down slowly beside me, clearly looking for the right words. "It's kind of hard to explain, but it's something I should have told you about a long time ago. Your parents seem to think this is the right time to come clean."

I raised an eyebrow. "Oh did they? They finally think giving me information is beneficial? I'm sure they were the reason you were keeping whatever you're talking about a secret in the first place."

"Well, partially anyway. I also didn't think I should tell you. Before I do, please don't be upset with me, okay?"

"Okay," I answered cautiously, starting to get a little worried. I couldn't imagine what Jacob had to say that would make me upset with him. He rarely ever drove me to be upset with him.

"So, you see-" he began awkwardly before he was unceremoniously interrupted by my phone going off.

"Sorry," said, looking at it really quick. "Oh my gosh," I said.

"What?!" demanded Jacob, worried.

"Lizzie was sent home. Apparently she's fine. She's texting me. Can you take me over there?"

"Right now? But it's late."

I rolled my eyes. "Clearly she's up and she says her mom is working the night shift tonight. She wants me to come over and I want to make sure she's okay. Please Jacob. I would take myself but I'm still a new driver and I don't feel comfortable going all the way to her house in the dark."

Jacob rubbed his neck anxiously. "I don't know Ness, your parents are already pretty annoyed with the both of us right now, I don't think-"

"Please Jacob! Please!"

He sighed in defeat. "Okay fine. Let's get going, but you should probably let Bella and Edward know where you're going."

"I will," I replied, though I knew in my head I was going to text them after we'd already left so they couldn't stop me. I was sick of them having control over me and my life. It was cliché of me, but I needed some level of independence without worrying what they had to say constantly. First thing was first however, I had to see if Lizzie was alright, and more importantly, what Lizzie knew.