Ch 82: Embarking

Jacob was more than hesitant at my proposal. However, it wasn't up to him anymore. This was about me and my family. If he was going to track Stefan and end all this, then I was certainly coming with him.
I packed a bag full of essentials, though being half vampire I didn't need much. I didn't even sweat, so a change of clothes was more out of habit than necessity.
Lizzie was finally out of the hospital and Seth had been fussing over her for days. I defended the staircase of Charlie's house, giving him and Sue my goodbyes. I told them I would be back in a few days and I had a some things to take care of. Naturally Charlie didn't question this, though he seemed apprehensive. He also didn't like that I hadn't told my mother still that I'd arrived. However, i knew now that i definitely couldn't tell my parents anything. If something happened to me on this trip I couldn't let them think I'd come here and didn't want to see them. Sue was a bit more visibly worried, but she knew better than Charlie.
I made my way over to Lizzie and Seths place, which was the old small house of Seth and Leah's childhood that Sue had given them on the reservation. Seth opened the door for me, and gave me a big bear hug before departing for work.
I came into the modest living room to see Lizzie chilling on the sofa.

"Hey!" She said jovially.

"Hey yourself," I began cautiously, anxious to tell her where I was going. "Listen, Liz,"

"Don't," she said genuinely. "I know what you're gonna say. Seth told me already. I'm not going to pretend I'm happy about this, but I know it would be a complete waste of time to argue with you about it. I'm sure Jacob has fought with you over this enough."

I smiled gratefully. "I'll be back before the wedding." I assured her.

"Make sure you do!" She said. "It will be my day and you can't spoil it by not coming." She teased.

I chuckled. "I know."

There wasn't much else to say. We silently agreed that this had to end and reaffirmed our sisterly love for each other. Lizzie had been with me through everything, and she was the one person outside my family and Jacob that I could count on, even during my years with Aro. I owed it to her to end this once and for all, as much as I owed it to myself and my family who should have had to live in fear of Vladimir and Stefan or that something would happen to me at their hands.

Jacob and I had agreed to meet at a specific spot in the woods. It was the site of the car accident where they were last seen by us. I caught his scent quickly, and followed it to wear he stood, clad in nothing but a pair of shorts. My cheeks turned red. It had been a very long time since Jacob needed to dress so minimally.
He turned, his dark brown eyes burning into mine.
"Ready?" I managed to get out.

He sighed. "I still don't like this Ness."

"I told you Jake, I'm done sitting on the sidelines, if they want me then I'm coming for them, or rather him. You already took one out, now it's my turn to finish this."

Jacob stood hesitantly before nodding in understanding.

"I'm going to phase now. Just hop on my back and we'll get going. I think I have his scent already. He couldn't have gone far if he's still interested in getting back at you."

I stepped back, watching his large human form transition into the beautiful wolf that had become so familiar to me. There was an odd moment where we simply locked eyes without moving, before he bowed down to allow me access on his back. I drew a deep breath, my backpack slung over my shoulder, as my hand hesitantly fisted into his thick fur. I hauled myself on top of him, crouching down, my body close to his. I could feel his heartbeat quicken even in wolf form, which both of us chose to ignore. Then, we were off.