Ch 8: Busy

I tried to keep myself as busy as possible the rest of the week at school. I made study groups with some of my new friends. I went shopping with Katie and pretended to like the clothes she picked out. I even volunteered to play the piano during the school musical rehearsals, just to avoid being at home. And being around Jacob.

I couldn't express how badly I felt about Jacob. I knew he would be hurt by my avoiding him, and truthfully it pained me as well to be away from him. But, I couldn't shake the weird feelings I had when I was around him, and they made me so uncomfortable that I didn't want to be near him. I especially didn't want Edward to know anything, so it was easier to not be in the house under the guise of being an enthusiastic new high school student.
    However, the dreaded weekend had come at last. It was a Friday and I was desperately looking for something to distract me the next few days. I was talking to Lizzie and she mentioned how she liked hiking.

"That's a great idea!" I exclaimed a little too excitedly. She was taken aback slightly before laughing.

"Um, alright. You want to go tomorrow? It's supposed to only drizzle so we should take the chance while we have it."

"Precisely," I agreed. "It's settled. We'll go tomorrow on one of the trails."

"Okay," said Lizzie. "You sure you'll be alright? Some of the trails are a bit difficult for a first time hiker."

I nearly burst out laughing. I was touched by her concern and sincerity, but the idea that a hike would wear me out was ridiculous. I giggled to myself privately.

"Thanks Lizzie, but I think I'll be okay."

She shrugged. "Alright. I can pick you up tomorrow. Or do you want to drive?"

"No, you can pick me up. That works," I replied. I made a note to myself once again that I really needed to get on with the driving thing.
                                      ####
    I packed up some things I knew I would need, and I may have googled what to bring on a hike as well. I had made a stop to get some hiking boots during the lunch period at school. It didn't take me long, since I could run there and back so quickly.

While I threw on one of the more hiking appropriate raincoats in the house, I looked out the front window. Lizzie would be here any minute.

"And where are you going?" asked Bella, making me jump slightly. I cringed. I thought her and Edward would be out hunting long enough for me to get out of the house with little questioning.

"Why are you going hiking?" asked Edward. "And who is this Lizzie?"

I practically growled. Jacob, upon hearing this came into the room.

"Is everything okay?" he asked.

"Yeah," I groaned. "It's nothing to trouble yourselves over," I tried to assure them. "I met this girl I really like named Lizzie at school and she likes hiking so I thought it would be a pleasant activity to go with her. You know perfectly well I won't be straining myself very much."

Edward pursed his lips and then his eyes widened. He caught me. I let it slip for half a second in my thoughts that part of the reason I wanted to go with Lizzie today was to avoid being around Jacob. I gulped, waiting for him to reveal my secret, but he didn't.

"Where are you guys going?" inquired Bella, trying to sound casual.

"On one of the trails. I'm not exactly sure. Lizzie is driving us there. I'll be fine though."

Bella still didn't look very satisfied. I tried my hardest to avoid any eye contact with Edward, since I could see in my periphery his intense studying gaze. He wanted to know why I was avoiding Jacob, and very badly. I refused to think about it.

"I'd feel a lot better if maybe one of us, or Jacob goes with you," said Bella. "There's been a lot of danger around here lately and I would-"

"No!" I said too loudly. I caught myself and drew a deep breath. "I don't want anyone to come. I'm hanging out with my friend and I'd prefer my parents not be around. And, if she spots Jacob, it would be incredibly difficult to explain why the giant wolf the size of a bear is stalking us. She would freak out!"

"She'll be fine Bells," chimed in Jacob as he walked in from the kitchen with a sandwich in hand. He was trying to help me out which made this so much harder. He was always being so helpful. All he ever did was work to make me happy and I felt infinitely guiltier that I was trying to get away from him.

Bella didn't look pleased with Jacob's intervention, but she turned to Edward to get his input. Edward finally broke his gaze on me and said, "I think she should be fine. Just don't go too far alright?"

I agreed, and just in time I heard the sound of Lizzie's car pulling up in front of the house. "Thank you, gotta go, bye!" I dashed towards the front door before anyone could say anything more.

I waved to Lizzie from outside the car and hoped in the passenger seat. She was staring at the beautiful house with her mouth practically hanging open. "Woah," she said. "Some house!"

I blushed. "Yeah thanks. It's actually my grandfather's." I wasn't technically lying. "Are you ready to go?" I asked, anxious to leave.

She nodded, through her eyes never left the big house until we'd completely turned around. I could see her peaking at me out of the corner of her eye while she drove, her expression curious. I knew she was thinking about me and the house, but I chose to pretend I didn't notice. I was determined to have a normal day.