Ch 4: Youthful

Both my parents decided they wanted to come with me to register for Forks High School. Bella, though she would never admit this, wanted to go because her only child was going to school and she wasn't about to miss it. Edward, came for similar reasons, but he was always better at communicating with people than my mother ever was.

I dressed as youthful as I possibly could. I wore a pair of simple blue jeans, converse high tops and a plain long sleeve shirt. Of course, I did have my very expensive raincoat which Alice had gotten for me. It was the only raincoat I had at the moment since I'd grown out of everything so quickly, and I supposed it wasn't horrible to be wearing at least one really nice thing. I wanted to stay at school as long as I was capable but I simply looked too old to be anything but a junior. Luckily, the school year had only just started. Everyone had been in the building for probably a little over a month, and though it wasn't great to be coming in after everyone else, at least I would get to be a part of the whole year.

I sat in the shiny black volvo beside Jacob, who also was excited to see me off. I put a hand nervously on top of his and he smiled encouragingly. Out of the corner of my eye I could see Edward peaking at me anxiously, but I screamed at him telepathically to mind his business. I saw a small smile form at the corners of his mouth before he turned to face forward again while Bella drove.

Apparently, the story would be that I was Edward's cousin who would be staying with them for a while. Everyone working at the school would no doubt remember Edward and he couldn't very well tell them that a fully grown looking woman was actually his daughter. Especially, since I looked older than him. My appearance more closely resembled Edward anyway, so it was more believable to claim relation to him. It was also convenient that I wouldn't need to change my name. I would be going in as Renesmee Cullen. I groaned internally at the idea of having to correct teachers and other students on the pronunciation of my name. I definitely would refuse to be referred to as anything but Ness or Nessie while at school, even if my transcript used my full name.

We finally made it to the school and my heart nearly lept out of my chest. Bella and Edward thought it best that Jacob wait in the car. This didn't bother him until he saw that it clearly bothered me. Jacob always took my side regardless of whatever my parents wanted, which always visibly irritated the both of them. Jacob sensing my involuntary and immediate distress said, "I can go in if you really want me to Ness?"

I gulped, gathering up my courage. I wanted this! I told myself. I loved Jacob but if I was going to be a teenager, then I certainly shouldn't need a whole gang of protectors walking me into school. It wasn't even my first day! I was only going in to get everything finalized with my parents. Finally, with a breath I shook my head. "It's okay Jake, it's probably best if I try to do this without you."

He nodded faithfully and, though he still looked a bit concerned, stayed put. As we walked into the building, I saw the various students hanging out in the parking lot waiting for classes to start. There wasn't anything particularly flashy, which lifted my spirits. Everything looked delightfully normal. However, upon seeing all the student cars the thought occurred to me that I still didn't know how to drive. I would have to fix that as soon as possible. I did not want my parents picking me up every day, especially because it would make them way more conspicuous. How weird would it look for me to be getting picked up by a seventeen and eighteen year old looking couple who supposedly graduated from this place nearly eight years ago? Very weird.