Ch 88: Hysterical

I banged heavily on the door to Lizzie and Seth's small house just on the boarder of town. Lizzie bought it with her book money and although she probably could have afforded a bigger house, she liked quaint things. It certainly was her taste. It was very old, and painted dark colors with a vaguely Victorian design. The best word I could use to describe it was "witchy" which felt appropriate for Lizzie who was both edgy and involved (literally) with the supernatural. I had little time to actually stand and admire the house because I was so distraught.

It was early, so when Lizzie opened the door, she was in her pjs and a bathrobe. She rubbed her eye and her expression widened when she realized who was standing at the door.

"Ness!" She exclaimed, seeing the distress in my face and my red eyes. "Come in," she gestured, stepping aside to let me in.

The decor inside the house matched the outside. There were thrifted pieces of furniture everywhere, accompanied by knick knacks and crystals in bowls.

I couldn't help but break down and cry again as soon as I stepped through into the living room.

"Oh Ness," said Lizzie, sitting me down on the couch. "What happened?"

I went on as best I could to explain everything, a mixture of anger and sadness flooding through me. In the midst of my story, Seth cautiously made his way down the stairs. I recognized instantly that he can heard everything. Too emotional to care, I finished the story with both of them listening. By the time I concluded, I had already calmed down a lot.

"I'm sorry to come here so early," I finally said, realizing I probably should have apologized when I walked in.

"Don't be silly," said Lizzie. She looked up and gave Seth a look, indicating that he should be the one to say something.

"Nessie," Seth began. "It's hard to explain, but Jacob is processing what happened."

I wanted to petulantly argue that I was the one who "what happened" happened to, but stopped myself. I knew how devastating watching someone you love be in pain could be.

Seth continued. "I can't really express what it's like to be what we are and feel that connection to someone. From what little he's told me, he seriously thought Stefan had killed you and for a second he died too. He feels guilty, and he needs time to come to his senses and realize this wasn't his fault. You should know that he can't be entirely rational when it comes to you."

I let out a sigh. It didn't make me feel better, but admittedly, his words were a little calming. I knew he was right, but I was frustrated. My choices were mine, and people had to start seeing that. I decided then that if Jacob needed time, then I would give it to him. This was something he had to consider as well, and I couldn't take his choice away from his either. But in the meantime I would keep myself occupied rather than sit around waiting for him. I would continue to help Lizzie with the wedding that was just around the corner, and heal my relationship with my parents after years of separation. Hopefully then, Jacob and I could both be in the right place to be healthy together.