Ch 92: Happily Ever After (Literally)

The party went on, most of the humans drinking their fill of champagne by the time the night was out. It was so nice to see, something so wholesome and human.
I never considered how lucky I really was. I could live the best of both lives. the world, I had to come to see, was full of so many beautiful things. Art. Music. Culture. Food even. And love. Most importantly, love. Watching those jovial, pink fleshed people dance the night away in celebration of one couples proclamations of love for each other reinvigorated me. I had so much life to enjoy, my loyal and loving protector at my side. My soul mate who had endured so much to be by my side.

"Ness?" Said a voice as I strolled along the outskirts of the forest, drinking in the moonlight and the sound of hooting owls.

I turned, a warm smile on my lips. "Hey Jake."

He approached. "What are you doing out here? Aren't you cold?"

I giggled. "A bit. But I think I know someone who can fix that?"

He looked surprised, but once he fully processed my invitation, took a step forward. He removed his coat jacket, wrapping it around my shoulders and pulling me against his chest. His large hands caressed my head. Running a lazy finger through my hair.

There was silence between us for a number of minutes, but it was companionable. I could have stood out there with him for days, just enjoying his company.
I realized that I did want this. I wanted him. We'd been through so much, and we should allow ourselves some happiness.

"Jacob?" I murmured, peaking up at him in the growing twilight. "I want to be with you."

I could feel his heart beat faster. "Ness," he said, concern etched on his face. "You're sure?"

I nodded. "I love you. I always have. I know now that life without you is empty. Even if one day we can't have forever, like Seth and Liz, then I want to have as much as I can get."

"What about Aro? The Volturi?"

I shrugged. "He'll ask for me one day. The good news is it won't be forever and we have plenty of time. Besides, what's all that to an immortal?" I winked.

He didn't look totally soothed, but it was the best reassurance we could have. All in all, life was good. It was the most anyone could ask for.

"Will you hold me a little longer?" I ask. He planted a kiss on my lips, searing and meaningful.

"I'll hold you until this forest closes in on us."

I smiled, burying my face in his warm fire. My Jacob. My sun. My beautiful comet who's love took me by surprise and completely disrupted everything I knew. But, the glow of our love wasn't as fleeting, and even if one day we burn out, it sure was magnificent.