Chapter 9

That night, after dinner, Dexter Raymond called me.

"Are you ready? You don't have to do this."

"I know I don't Ray, but I want to." I slipped on a hoodie and a pair of loose pants, both were black.

I silently opened the front door, but of course, Geoff heard it from his study.

"Ramara." That was all he said. I could risk it by running out the door, but I didn't want to be subject to his wrath later.

I trudged to his study and opened the door.

"Where are you going?" He asked me.

I put my hands in my hoodie pockets.
"I'm hanging out with Brandon."

"If I didn't know the boy was gay, I would would have tied you up."

My face flamed in heat.
"Can I go now?"

"Kiss me and I'll let you." My mission was really important, so I begrudgingly went to him as he was looking at some papers.

I bent down to kiss his cheek, but right at the last moment, he turned his face and my lips landed on his. Before I pulled away, he nipped at my lips.

"Can I go now daddy?" I gave him a saccharine smile.

His eyes darkened and he nodded. I didn't want him changing his mind, so I immediately went out of the house and got into my car. Normally, Ray would come to my apartment and lend me his car, but since I moved to Geoff's house, I decided to drive to the cafè and meet him there.

The drive was 10 minutes and I spotted Ray's graying hair. I got out of my car and went to him.
He gave me a quick kiss on the cheek and gave me my camera.

"The wife, Mrs. Carlisle is at Jameson's. I need you to get her handwriting without making it too suspicious. I also need you to record you giving her money and she giving you drugs. At any cost, do not make your face recognizable to the camera. Cover it at all times." Ray never told me why because of confidentiality and all that.
A few times, I double checked everything, just so I could ensure that I wasn't doing anything wrong. I went as far as climbing up pipes to peer into people's windows. Not my finest moment, but I had to do it for my peace of mind. After that, I believed Ray wouldn't do bad.

I took the camera and Ray gave me the buzzer. If I was in any trouble, he'd send backup. I've never had to use it before.

He handed me a wad of cash.
"That should be enough for the drugs."

This time, since I had my own car, I decided to drive in that.
"You're helping so many people darling."

I smiled at him.
"I would hope so." I wished him a good night and drove off to Jameson's, a night club.

It was good that I brought my makeup pallet with me. I stopped a block away from Jameson's and applied heavy makeup. I set up the camera on a lamp post. Climbing it was hard, but getting down was easy.

I went back into my car and decided I could keep watch for Mrs.Carlisle from here. Standing in front of the club was just too obvious and I didn't do obvious. With my hoodie over my head, I opened the console and I found a picture.

I took it out and snickered when I saw Geoff's face staring back at me. His jaw was set in stone. His hard grey eyes peering straight into my soul and his masculine lips were set in a firm line. Even his eyebrows were sexy. Some would really describe him as a daddy. I put the picture back in the console and just then, Mrs.Carlisle came out with a man.

I ran up to her and squealed, jumping. She was surprised, but I was quick to start my flattery. She fell for it, fluffing her hair with a haughty grin.

"Can you give me an autograph and write me a message, please?" She played small roles in theatres, so this was believable. Yes, Ray told me this.

She took the paper and pen from me and scribbled on it. I took the things back wih a grin and I handed her the wad of cash, in the line of the camera. The man stopped her and scowled at me and I scowled right back.

Ignoring him, she pulled out a baggie of drugs from her purse and gave it to me.

I waved at her and went back. I waited for them to go away and removed my camera. I threw the drugs into the nearby trashcan and jumped into my car.

I removed the make up with a wipe and drove out of there. I dropped off the camera and the note in Ray's secret mailbox with a key he gave me and drove back home.

I was tired by the time I got back. I tried not to make too much noise and I could only pray that Geoff was fast asleep. I tiptoed into the house and slowly opened the door to my mother's room. I wasn't surprised that she wasn't there. She was always missing at night. You could only find her in the morning. With a sigh, I closed her door. But, then I remembered, she could be in Geoff's room. Bile rose in my throat.

I climbed up the stairs slowly, very, very slowly, and opened Geoff's door, my heart beating in my throat from fear and uncertainty.

I let out a breath when I saw only Geoff in the bed. He said he wouldn't touch my mother with a ten foot pole and I was just making sure. Messing with both of us made me want to hurl. Geoff was an honest man. I knew that.

I was thankful that Geoff was asleep. I wasn't really good at lying and like he said, he could spot a liar from a mile away. He must've known I was lying about where I was going, but thankfully, I was glad he didn't question me further. I didn't know whether I should be worried about that or not.

I went into my room and immediately stripped off my clothes. It was past 12 at midnight and I really craved a bath, so that's what I did. I found some lavender scented bath bombs in the bathroom cabinet and put them in the tub. They were my favorite and I was grateful that they were there. I dropped one in the tub and got in.

I sighed in comfort and soaked for about 30 minutes before my skin shriveled up. I got out of the tub and dried myself. I sniffed my skin and was satisfied with the lavender scent.

I stepped back into my room and dressed in a loose fitted T-shirt. I got into bed and my body gave out. I knew I couldn't sleep long. I've always had trouble sleeping and on the nights when I go out, those are the nights I can manage to sleep for a few hours.

My eyes closed and I drifted off into a dreamless sleep.