Chapter 22

After that tirade in Geoff's room, I went to my own room to get ready for the day. I got ready in 15 minutes, which was a new record.

I hurried downstairs, opting to skip breakfast and opened the front door. True to his word, Ray got me a pickup truck. It was a little rough around the edges, but I absolutely loved it!

I loved that it was green, I loved that the paint was chipped off on some parts and I loved that it was mine.

Next to the pickup truck, was a silver Prius. I looked at it in question, then remembered Scarlett saying her ride would arrive today. It must've been hers. Funny that I didn't even feel a pang of jealousy.

My truck screamed me. I called Ray to thank him. I quickly got into it after he told me where he hid the keys.

I slid the key into the ignition when I saw Scarlett talking to Geoff, giggling. I felt something ugly and unwanted coil deep inside my gut, watching them together.

His gaze found mine through the windshield of the truck and he let loose a small smirk. I hated him in that moment.

But mostly I hated myself for not hating him like I should. He just sees me as his....fuck toy. I was the stupid little girl crazy enough to catch some feelings in between.

With a clenched jaw, I backed out of the driveway and when I reached school, I paid Ray the first instalment of my truck. Something life had taught me was to be independent. Always.

I got out of the truck and just then, Brandon's car pulled up in the school parking lot. Just as he got out, a silver Prius pulled up. I immediately jumped into Brandon's arms, laughing when he caught me.

I loved the act of jumping into someone's arms with the confidence that they would catch me. The only person in my life like that was Brandon.

The thought of Geoff catching me like this flitted across my mind, but I bet he'd do it with a scowl and he'd probably drop me just to spite me, with his hot and cold behavior.

You love that scowl.

The thought made me scowl. I didn't love anything about that man.

Brandon put me down just as Scarlett got out of her car, pulling down her sunglasses to her nose and sneering at my truck.

"Where did you get that rust bucket?"

"I stole it." I said through gritted teeth.

She smirked, gave Bran a once over and sauntered off.

"Better unclench those fists babe."

I looked down at my fists, slowly relaxing them before my gaze cut to his clenched ones.

"I think you should too."

He huffed out a breath and unclenched them, walking beside me to get inside the school. I stopped in my tracks when I saw two girls, one of them Scarlett and one of them, another bimbo pinning Dahlia to the lockers as Chelsea held a white paper in her face with a taunting smirk.

Me and Brandon made a beeline toward her and Dahlia's eyes cut to mine portraying her relief. I smiled at her and a pleasant feeling wrapped itself around my heart, at her confidence that I would have her back.

"Let her go." My voice was steel as I ordered Scarlett and the bimbo. Not that Scarlett wasn't a bimbo.

"We don't take orders from a stepfather fucker, bitch." It was Scarlett who said this.

My posture faltered for a split second when I heard collective gasps around me, but I straightened my spine.

"You have no proof of that. You're just saying that because you want in his pants."

The tic in her jaw confirmed my words. I started prying the bimbo's fingers off Dahlia's arm just as Jonah Kingston stormed toward the scene.

"What the fuck is going on here?" He bellowed and plucked the paper from Chelsea's hands.

He skimmed his eyes over it and looked at Dahlia, his lips thinning as he saw the two girls pinning her to the lockers.

"Let go of her." He said in a deadly calm voice. Both of them let go of her immediately.

"But-" Chelsea started to say, but Jonah barked at her.

"Shut up. No one messes with my petal."

His petal?

He strode toward Dahlia and engulfed her in his arms, putting a possessive hand on the back of her head as she wrapped her arms around his waist.

I think everyone was shocked at this, except me. I had a feeling this would happen.

"You didn't have to come. Ramara was handling the situation." She looked at me with a shy smile.

I smiled despite the fact that my eyebrows nearly touched my hairline.
"You better treat her like a queen Kingston."

He rolled his eyes.
"I know."

Brandon put an arm around my shoulders and dragged us to our first class.

Throughout the day, I learned that many students got their acceptance letters, which made me wonder about mine. They should've come in by now.

I couldn't even entertain the thought of not getting accepted into an college. I maintained a 4.0 gpa, completed and submitted all my assignments on time and never got into trouble.

I would need to ask Geoff if he took my mail. So, after I finished my shift at the cafè, I called Geoff from home and asked him about the letters.

He told me to check the post box, that a key was hidden under it.

When I did open the box, I found letters, but none of them were my acceptance letters.

Panic gripped me. Maybe I was being paranoid, but I needed to make sure that Scarlett didn't have anything to do with them. One girl from my English Lit class told me she got accepted into University of Minnesota, so surely I should've gotten mine too, right?

I went inside the house and sat on my bed, doing my homework, and it dawned on me that I could sneak into Scarlett's room and check. She wasn't home yet and I had managed to avoid her the entire day today.

Just as I was about to go to her room, Geoff appeared at my doorway.