Chapter 26

The next week was very hectic since it was finals week. I studied day and night and pretty much didn't have the time for anything else.

What surprised me was that Geoff worked where I studied. He would even occasionally explain some concepts to me. I didn't necessarily need any explanations, but I thought it was hot when he went all teacher mode.

After the final exam, me, Brandon and Dahlia hung out at the cafè. I didn't have any shifts that day. After that, I drove straight home. I got out of my truck and peered into the woods behind the house, remembering that creepy man.

I went into the house and when I saw Geoff standing in the foyer, I jumped into his arms. He caught me easily and I pulled back to look at his face.

He smiled and I think it was the first time I saw him smile. I loved it. I smiled back and touched his smile with my fingers.

Remembering that haggard man who still creeped me out, I asked, "What happened to that man in the woods?"

He froze for a second, but he didn't let me go.
"He's been taken care of."

"What do you mean? Did you....kill him?"

He chuckled and looked into my eyes.
"If I did?"

"You can't answer my questions with questions Geoff."

"I think I just did." He pressed his forehead to mine and I pressed my lips to his. His tongue invaded my mouth and I welcomed it. He groaned into my mouth and lifted me higher up him.

"Tell me really. What did you do?"

"I sent him away." I looked at him sceptically. He wasn't the type to just send someone on their merry way.

"Why was he here in the first place?" I asked instead.

"He used to live here before I bought the property. The woods were his home. I agreed to let him stay here. But all bets were off when he tried to hurt my dorogoy."

"What does dorogoy mean anyway?"

"I think that's enough questions for today."

"But I don't know anything about you. You seem to know all about me. Didn't you go to work today?"

"I own the firm Remy. I can go and come as I please. I knew you would jump into my arms like this, so I knew I should come home early."

I kissed his cheek and just then, my phone started ringing.

I took it out of my pocket and when I saw the number, I started walking away from Geoff, but he caught my arm.

After a brief moment of indecision, I answered the call. He sat down on the carpeted stairs and pulled me down with him between his spread legs.

"Hello?"

"Ramara." The deep voice said from the other end.

"Hi Dad."

Geoff stopped rubbing my knees for a brief moment before continuing.

"Honey, I know your finals are over. I booked the flight ticket for tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?" I rested my head on Geoff's knee and he took to caressing my hair. The gesture almost brought tears to my eyes.

"You know I can't wait to see you baby. Do this for your old man."

I rolled my eyes. "Alright, alright. I'll come."

"That's great. I'll see you then."

"Okay. Kiss Sandra for me."

"I will."

I hung up and rubbed my face into Geoff's pants.

"Your dad?"

"Yes, my dad."

"I didn't know you kept contact with him."

I turned to face him.
"I visit him every April."

"You don't hate him?"

I laughed and he stared at me with dark eyes.
"No one in their right mind would hate Dean Anderson."

"Sounds familiar." He remarked.

"He's a businessman in New York."

"Why only once a year?"

I shrugged and he ran his thumb over my lip.
"I don't want to disturb their marriage. By their, I mean my dad's and Sandra's. Sandra is his wife."

"So your father had an affair with your mother?"

"No. We were born before his marriage to Sandra. I think he got married six years ago."

"We?"

I froze. I hadn't noticed the slip.
"I meant I, not we."

I stared down at the stairs, my mind going elsewhere.

He tipped my chin up and made me look into his eyes.
"You had a sibling?"

I closed my eyes, letting the pain wash over me.

"Yeah. I don't know if he's alive or not." It always twisted my gut to talk about him.

"He was ten years older than me. I was two years old at the time. I remember him always playing with me and taking care of me. I remember he was there one minute and gone the next. I cried for months. But, my tears didn't matter. Only his safety mattered to me. I like to believe he's still alive out there somewhere. His name was Rouarke."

"Did you have the same father?"

"Yeah. Same father and mother."

"Hmm." He had on his thinking face.

"I had my friend search, but he couldn't find him. It's like he disappeared from the face of the Earth."

"I'll try to find him, but if he's a guy who doesn't want to be found, then I can't be sure."

Something like hope ballooned in my chest.

"Really? You'd do that? For me?"

"I said I would, didn't I?"

I wrapped my arms around him and squeezed.
"You don't know how much that means to me Geo. It means the world to me."

"I'm going with you tomorrow."

"What? No, you're not."

"I don't remember asking you."

"Well, you don't have to be such an ass about it. I only have one ticket."

"I'll get my own ticket."

"What about Scarlett? We can't leave her alone in the house. God knows what she'll do."

He smiled that beautiful smile again.
"She left."

"Seriously?" I asked incredulously. I didn't think she'd go that easily.

"No one messes with my dorogoy except me."

I rolled my eyes. "You're impossible."

Just then, the front door opened and my mother staggered inside. She caught sight of us and gasped dramatically.

"You whore!"

She rushed up to me and I dodged her attack, but it looked like I didn't need to because Geoff caught her wrist and twisted.

"What do I pay you for?" He asked in a deathly cold voice.

When she didn't answer, he twisted harder and she cried out.
"To not hurt her."

"What do I pay you extra for?"

"To leave you alone."

"My exact words."

"To leave you and her the fuck alone."

"So what the fuck are you still doing here? Get out of my face."

He released her wrist and wrapped his arm around me. We both watched as she scurried away.