It hurt when you fell from heaven Pt. 2

Me? Spontaneously continuing a Oneshot because I need therapy and it's very late? Noooooo...

Go to part 1 to read!

The two of us had sat in comfortable atmosphere until the first slivers of sunlight fell through the trees and the fire went out by itself, with the angel drifting in and out of sleep as I kept guard. I was tired, so tired that if I had only sat for a minute longer I would have fallen asleep. But when the sun peeked over the horizon, I shook that drowsiness off, knowing that if we waited longer, the streets would be filled. I dreaded the thought, and so I gently shook Jack's shoulder, attempting to wake the angel in a gentle manner.

He stirred, lifting his head to look at me, with his expression gentle. There was always appreciation in it when he looked at me, and anytime he did I could read off what he was feeling. Hiding his emotions didn't seem to be something he was capable of, but I wasn't sure if it was a natural trait or simply due to his weakened state. He was leaning against me, trusting me with his fate as if I was a long time friend, not a shimmer of caution in his posture. I was glad, knowing that I was the one who found him, knowing that if he had fallen into someone else's hands it might have had ended badly for him.

"We need to head home, Jacky. Soon, there will be too many people out for us to make the trip safely", I told him, keeping my voice soft to not upset the still sleepy angel. "I can hide if I need to...", he whispered. I grew more concerned when I realized his eyes were duller than before. "Are you doing okay...?" I tucked a strand of hair behind his ear, and he gave me a light smile. "I'll be okay, I think", he answered, still in a whisper, his voice not allowing him a more stable tone.

Sensing that there was nothing I could do about his condition until we made it back to my place, I carefully picked him up, which he let happen without resistance, leaning his head against my chest and closing his eyes for a brief moment. When I adjusted him in my arms, he whimpered softly, and his face distorted in pain. "Hurts...", he sighed, and I felt my heart ache at the word, gently kissing into his hair in order to comfort him a little. "I'll get you home safely."

Walking through the woods back to the edge of the city, I let him rest, knowing he would need to bring up a lot of energy once we got to civilization. He was so light in my arms, and his face was relaxed, lulled away from any pain by the sweet relief of sleep. In the daylight, he looked pale, almost sickly, and I instincively walked faster, eager to get him home and taken care of.

When we approached the first few houses, I carefully ducked behind a row of trees, not wanting to be seen by the few men and women already going about their tasks. It only took a gentle nudge for Jack to wake up, opening his eyes to look around dazed. "Are we there...?", he asked, and I smiled, shaking my head. "Not yet. I'm not sure how to get you through the city without anyone noticing..."

He shifted slightly, testing his strength, but quickly went limp again when the movement became all too painful. "I... I don't know if I'll be able to hide...", he whispered, lowering his gaze, seemingly embarrassed. "What do you mean, hide?", I asked, and he shrugged. "Hide my wings to blend in, but it takes a bit of effort, I don't think I can do that..."

"Will you try? You don't need to focus on anything else, just try your best", I whispered, gently rubbing his shoulder to encourage him. The angel closed his eyes and sighed, though he seemed relaxed I could tell that he was trying his best to concentrate, his face showing distress. Slowly, very slowly, I watched as his wings became transparent, the bloody feathers being replaced by harmless looking nothingness.

As soon as I could no longer see the feathers shimmering in the air, I hurried out from behind the trees and down the cobbled road. The few people on the street stared, but I didn't care, I wasnted to get home as soon as possible, wanting to relieve Jack from the pressure of keeping up the concentration.