Thunderstorm (Hamilton - Angst) [Historical AU]

I didn't plan this story at all, just wrote and watched where it went. I was awake cause of the storm outside and it was after midnight, don't expect much.

With lightning lighting up the sky over our heads and the roars of thunder making us flinch, we sat in the muddy ditches we had spontaneously digged at the insight of my friend Lafayette, meant to keep us safe in the open field we were in. Most of us were cowering to avoid being hit, some had even laid down.

Gilbert had pulled me next to him and was talking about something, I wasn't paying attention to what, though I should be considering our situation. Instead, I was trying to count the seconds between the light and thunder, meant to tell me how far away the storm was. Just then, another lighting split the sky at the horizon. Not even three seconds, and another thunder clapped through the air.

The storm was getting closer, and I tried to inform the frenchman next to me, which was tuned out by more thunder. They were coming with short intervals now, and I gave up trying to tell Gilbert anything. Every man of the 50 seated here was absolutely drenched, which made me think of John, god knows why.

He had had to stay back at camp instead of joining the patrol like usual, something about his father and congress. I usually listened in to those conversations, had we rarely ever secrets between members of Washington's family, but this time it must've had slipped me. I wondered if he was worried about us, and what he was doing. I feared he might try to find us, it would be like him to try such a dangerous stunt. For now, all I could do was pray that Washington wouldn't let him go, to who I was praying I wasn't sure.

A lightning lit up the sky, and we all could hear a crash not too far away. A big oak at the centre of the field had been hit, and was now wuickly burning up in flames. I was mesmerized by the view, did it not represent a character often described to match my own?

I was only ripped from the fantastical view by my friend pulling at my soaking sleeve. I looked over into a frantic face. "Get down!", he yelled, barely audible over the storm. He was right, the only thing making us not the main target for lightning had just become a danger in itself, threatening to crash and propell its branches out into all sides, maybe even to us. We curled up deeper into the ditch and hoped that we were lying flat enough not to get hit.

I felt Laf's hand reaching for mine, and looked over at him. He looked frightened, I didn't blame him for it, and so I quickly took his hand and squeezed it softly. It seemed to work, because he smiled slightly and sqeezed back. I would've spoken to him, but the thunder over our heads was making it impossible. I adjusted my position slightly, keeping my hand in Gil's, and braced for a long time of nothingness.

It took 4 hours for the storm to pass. Once it stopped, one after another hesitantly stood up and looked around. It was still raining, but the sky stayed dark, and no thunder could be heard. I looked to Lafayette, who had collected himself and was back to his usual confidence. "Let's get back to camp", he shouted, loud enough so that everyone could hear. Once the patrol was moving, I made my way back to Lafayette's side.

"Are you okay? You seemed pretty shaken up..." He shrugged and smiled. "It's not everyday that this happens. I'm fine now", he said. I let that be the answer, and fell behind to the end of the patrol like usual, knowing that there was no need this time I did anyway, and we fell into a light jog to warm up.

We arrived back at camp around 30 minutes later, the rain had stopped at that point, yet most were freezing cold in their drenched clothes. We were ushered into our tents to change into dry clothes, and told to pack ourselves up in blankets to avoid hypothermia. I attempted to get around the order and go speak to Washington, but he promptly sent me back to John and I's tent.

When I pulled back the tent flap, I was surprised to find that John wasn't there. Pressing down the gloomy feeling, I assumed he was talking to someone about something important, and promised myself if he wasn't back in 20 minutes to go and ask. I changed into a dry pair of clothes and then crawled under the covers, trying to keep myself from shaking.