Empty Hallways (Halloween Special) [Modern AU]

It's spooky season! To celebrate the best month of the year, I have an extra long Oneshot coming at you! Emotional Rollercoaster riders beware!

Trigger Warning: Homophobia, Abuse

Margarita Schuyler, the youngest of the three Schuylers, hopped down the stairs in one of her father's gardening pants. "Are you guys ready? We should've been at Jack's ten minutes ago!", she called out to the direction she assumed her sisters to be, her dark brown, curly ponytail bobbing up and down as she tapped her foot frustratedly. The Schuylers and Laurenses lived in the same street, a rich neighborhood with lavish homes, but it was still a ten minute walk from one house to another.

Now it happened that it was October 1st, and their friend John had asked them to help with the preperations for a halloween ball. Knowing the usual lengths these preparations went to, the Schuyler sisters wore work clothes. Or, Peggy did, her sisters were nowhere to be found. She called out again. "Eliza!! Angie!! Let's go!!" Peggy heard footsteps running down the hall, and Eliza ran around the corner, half sliding and half falling down the flight of stairs. Her hair was in a bun and she was wearing the clothes she had used for last year's Christmas preparations. In her hand was their older sister Angelica's phone, which was ringing, and behind her came an angry Angelica stomping around the corner. Peggy ignored the fighting hens and walked out the front door.

When they arrived at the Laurens home around ten minutes later, John and a few others of the friend group were already getting crafty outside. Lafayette, who used to be an exchange student but decided to stay in America permanently and became one of the core members of the squad, was standing on a ladder and hanging realistic looking cobwebs on the stone wall and metal gate protecting the house. Peggy noticed one of the cobwebs had gotten stuck in the poof that Laf called a ponytail, and was now hanging down behind him like a veil.

Alexander Hamilton, the boy from the Caribbean and John's best friend, was positioning a grizzly looking puppet of an old man in an armchair on the front porch. John was just carrying a big box of decorations out from the back shed, and waved when he saw the sisters. "Hey you three!", he called out. Peggy and her sisters walked over to him. "Starting outside this year?", Angie asked, to which the freckled boy nodded. "It just makes more sense that way, since the front yard is what people will see all month. We'll have plenty of time to decorate inside." He set down the box and opened the lid, pulled out what looked like another one of those dolls, the same kind as Alex had placed on the porch.

John grinned and pulled a rope from the box, quickly tying a noose and putting it around the doll's neck. "What do you say, should we take the risk of giving our neighbors a heart attack?", he said, pointing to the big tree right in the middle of the front yard, already deprived of leaves and standing tall against the gray sky. Peggy let out an excited squeal, and John took it as an agreement. Not a second later he was quickly climbing up the tree, and fastened the rope on one of the more sturdy branches.

Sitting on the branch, the doll dangling below him, he waved to his friends below. Peggy waved back, and Alex, who was done setting up the porch, laughed when he saw the decoration. John climbed back down the tree and skipped back to his friends, a huge grin of excitement on his face. "Alright, well, we have another two or three boxes sitting here just waiting to be distributed across this front yard, so let's get back to work!"

- Timeskip: October 31 -

Peggy and her sisters walked through the metal gate. The three of them wore matching ball gowns in dark, desaturated colors, their makeup and hair matching the dresses to give the three of them ghostly, historical looks, as if they had jumped out of a postmortem photograph from the victorian era; the theme of their friendgroup, complimented by the old-fashioned style of the house and furniture inside. The yard made justice to the work they put into it, and with the wind rocking the lifeless doll in the tree back and forth, even Peggy, who had witnessed the playful demeanor in which it was hung, felt a small chill run up her spine.