Overcooked Pasta (Laurens Family - Fluff) [Modern AU]

I don't like the real Henry Laurens, but this is a fanfic, and I want this family to be happy goddammit.

"Jack, where are you? It's getting late!", I heard my father call me from the house. I closed my sketchbook and stood up from where I was sitting in the grass, waving to make him aware of me. I started walking up the hill to the home, surprised when I felt a soft drizzle fall from the sky. It hadn't rained in quite a bit, the plants desperately needed the water.

I arrived up at the large house and closed the door behind me, my father was rummaging in the kitchen. "Did you finish your homework?", he asked when he heard me walk in. "All done except for the last touches on the Geography project." He gave me a satisfied hum, most of the time the only praise I or my siblings received. I was always a bit disappointed, but used to it, and it didn't make me love him any less. A propos my siblings;

"Polly and Jemmy are at their friend's house, right?", I asked as I took the pasta off the heat that my father had left on for too long. He nodded. "Yeah, uhm... what was his name? The Millers' son. But Patsy and Harry are home, they're upstairs doing their homework." I handed him the sauce packet and walked back to the door. "I'll get them. And, the boy's name is Benjamin Martin, not Miller."

He gruntled something along the lines of 'you go get 'em', which I took as my cue to leave. I picked up my sketchbook and pencil againa and walked upstairs, putting it in my room and then knocking on my sister's room. "Come in", she called from inside, and I opened the door. "Hey Patsy, how was your day?" She smiled up from her work. "Pretty good. We did some theatre in English class today", she told. "That sounds cool, you have to totally tell me during dinner. It should be ready by now", I said and walked out and down the hall to my brother's room.

"Harry, dinner's ready!", I called through the door, knowing he didn't like it when people came into his room. He opened the door and the three of us walked downstairs. Dad had already set the table, and so we sat down and the four of us said a table prayer before eating. We talked and laughed at this and that, Patsy's English class and Harry's over the top French teacher. "And she went 'non, non, c'est elefant, tu dit enfant!', and I said 'l'elefant est un enfant!'", Harry said. "Imagine if you had said it the other way around", Patsy remarked.

Dad chuckled and ruffled through Patsy's hair. "You kids are the best", he said. I was surprised at the praise, so were the other two. Dad leaned back in his chair and sighed, looking at the three of his children present. "I'm proud of you", he said before standing up and leaving for his office. We sat stunned for a few seconds, I couldn't help but smile widely. No matter how awkward our father could be with his love, I knew he meant it.