Pay The Price (Laurens) [Murder AU]

I don't know what the heck this is, but it's late and I felt like it.

The only sound I could hear from where I was sitting was the wind blowing over the rocky cliff and riling up the waves beneath it. I was sitting on the very edge of said cliff, staring down into the dancing water, not knowing what to do with myself. The sky was grey and I knew there was gonna be a storm, but I just sat there and stared.

My thoughts were down there, with the waves, with the skeletons I knew lied somewhere down below. Nobody knew about what had happened in a night just like this one. Three in total, that's how many people were unlucky enough to pick a fight with me. It wasn't anything major, just a disagreement, but it was the last I had with them.

I could still hear their screams as I pushed them over the edge. Business, money and politics, that was what the fight had been about. A business I didn't agree on, they kept insisting it was good. But it was hurting people, I knew it was because I had seen it more than enough. And I knew they deserved to be pushed, I knew they deserved it because it meant I could change all those horrible things.

Right after I had pushed them in, I had sat here, just like I was sitting here right now, watching the waves carry their bodies. Except this time there weren't any bodies, just shadowy darkness. The ocean was always intriguing to me, how it was basically a keeper of secrets, because no matter how hard you search, you can't find something in the ocean. Neither a pencil nor a person.

I felt the first raindrops on my head and sighed. I had to get inside. I looked at the three small names I etched into the stone with my pocket knife. "Goodnight Mr. Austin, goodnight Mr. Appleby, goodnight dad." And with that, I stood up and walked back to the house. The now empty house, no one living in it but myself. My siblings were long gone, off to new shores and their own lives. They didn't know what happened, they thought there had been a boating accident.

It felt good to hear the silence, nobody around to speak, nobody but the small whisper in the back of my head telling me to just jump in after them. I had taken lives too, after all. But, those weren't innocent lives. Was the voice in my head, or was it around me? I wasn't sure, and I didn't care. It didn't belong to anyone living, and that was all that mattered. They were all safe, safe and sound.

I was willing to pay the price for their lives, and I payed the price that the three lives I took never wanted to pay.