I know I'm Amazing (Philip and Sally Hemmings) [Modern AU]

Kinda short, but I tried

It was a cold, rainy night, and I was grateful for the thick layers of clothes I was wearing. If you would've walked past me on the street, you would've taken me for homeless. Tangled, long curly hair and worn down clothes, my shoes were barely holding together. And in a sense it was true, I spent more nights out on the street than I did at home. I didn't want to burden my mother more than I had to, she was already always over worked. Instead, I went around trying to make a living for myself on the street, more stumbling than standing on my own two feet.

But all of that was going to change tonight. I was sitting next to my best friend Sally, a sweet girl that I hated to drag into my mess, on the bus as it rolled down the streets of downtown Manhatten. "Are you sure that you want to help me do this...? It's dangerous, I don't want you getting hurt", I whispered to her. She looked back at me, and I could see that she looked annoyed at my questions, but when she saw how worried I was her face softened. "I'm not made of glass, Pip", she whispered, her voice sounding very soft. I sighed. "Yeah, you're right, but I mean... you're coming along just to protect me, I don't want you getting in trouble." She shook her head. "I'm aware that we'll get in trouble, but you're my best friend, and I won't change my mind about it no matter how many times you ask."

Yeah, she was right, she could make her own decisions, but I still felt bad. Just because I needed money, she'd go on this really dangerous mission with me? "Sally, are you sure-" "One more time and you're getting smacked, Philip Hamilton." I quickly shut my mouth, and she grinned slightly. "We're at our stop. Let's do this?" I nodded, feeling the adrenaline flowing through me. It felt good, in a way. I had left any identification at home, so that if we were to get caught, my mother would never have to carry the burden of finding out what happened to her son. She'd think I had found my own apartment and life, I had told her that I'd be moving to Arizona. She didn't doubt my word, and I knew that she wouldn't attempt to visit, our money was so little that leaving the state was nearly impossible.

I grabbed the large sportsbag next to me, and the two of us exited the bus. We walked along the street hand in hand, seemingly strolling along, trying to take attention away from us as much as possible. I knew exactly where to go, and soon we stood in front of a large mansion away from the city. "That's big...", Sally whispered to me. I scoffed. "Yeah, big ass house and little to no morals." My pulse was rushing as we carefully snuck on property. I knew where the cameras were pointed, because I had watched the house many days and seen the little black electronics swing from one side to another, in a clear pattern which was very predictable after a while. I squeezed Sally's hand tightly, and we climbed over the second fence and stood in front of the back door. "Sally, are you sure you don't want to back out?" Smack.

Yeah, I should've expected that. Instead of trying to argue any longer, I quickly crouched down in front of the door and pulled out the lockset I had built myself with hours of boredom. I let out a barely audible sigh of relief when the lock clicked and the door unlocked. Sally and I stepped in with no issues.

- Timeskip -

Two days had passed, and when I woke up in the stolen van the sun was shining through the window. We were parked at the side of the road, miles and miles away from any kind of town, and I could hear the rustling of newspaper from next to me. When I looked over, Sally was sitting cross legged next to me with yesterday's newspaper in her hands. Since I had fallen asleep early, I couldn't even remember her stopping to buy it. "What does it say...?", I muttered, skipping over the good morning and sitting up to look over her shoulder.

"Here, look at this", she giggled and read out the headline, "Thomas Jefferson robbed, damages worth 2 million dollars!" I grinned and leaned against the wall of the van, letting my gaze fly over the treetops that I could see through the window. "I feel like there's something good ahead", I whispered. Sally was hummed in agreement, then giggled, she was reading the wanted descriptions. "What kind of bullshit these people come up with... it's astonishing, really", she commented. I shrugged, the grin returning to my face. "Cops, their level of IQ is probably six feet under since birth."

We laughed until we were on the ground and out of breath, then I felt her hand reach for mine. I took it and softly squeezed, she sighed. "No homo bro, but I love you", she said, giggling. I turned my head to face her. "No homo bro, but you're fucking amazing and I love you too." "I know I'm amazing." I rolled my eyes and threw the newspaper at her. She squeaked and ducked out of the way, getting up and climbing back into the driver's seat. I got up at well and climbed into the passenger's seat. "We leaving?" She nodded. "Let's get out of here."