9

Not wanting to argue with the two of them you slowly sat back down on the couch, a bit further away from Charlie, not wanting to wake or disturb him.

"What's going on.." You asked softly, their expressions making you more and more worried. Silence filled the room as Schlatt sat down, Ted letting out a sigh before limping over and sitting down as well.

Schlatt stared at the ground for a moment, seeming to be lost in thought for a moment. Ted on the other hand let out a sigh, looking right at you. "Well, you see, Y/N.. it's about.. it's about your dad. He's.. well-"

"He's dead, Y/N." Schlatt said, his gaze still on the ground. "He was there when we arrived. There were some complications.. and then-" He looked at you and paused, seeing your expression change completely. ".. I'm sorry, Y/N."

For a moment, you felt completely empty. Your father- the man who raised you- who kept you alive.. it was hard to believe that he of all people would just go and die. Sure you had disagreements at times and he wasn't the best, but he was still your father.

You slowly shook your head as you looked at the two, "I.. no, your lying.. you have to be.. he wouldn't just- die-"

"He fell about 15 feet, Y/N. Hit the ground pretty hard. If that didn't kill him, I don't know what did." Schlatt said with a huff, before Ted sat up and punched his arm.

"Show some fucking respect Schlatt, we just broke the news to Y/N that's her father is dead, we don't need you clowning around." Ted said with a scowl, which only led to Schlatt to roll his eyes.

Standing up, Schlatt just shook his head and walked over to the nearest window, staring outside for a moment. "Well, he was a fucking ass! What do you want me to say, Ted? She probably hated his guts just as much as we did. Not that he was ever a problem to us, but when he wanted to be a problem, he was a big one."

Ted looked like he just wanted to put up more of a fight, but you just quickly out your hand up and shook your head, signalling both of them to stop. "Please, guys.. I just.. I need a moment." You said with a heavy sigh, before standing up.

"Right.. I understand, Y/N, take your time." Ted said quickly before standing up, "Do you need anything? Some water or.." He trailed off as you only shook your head again, before walking to your room, gently closing the door behind you.

Everything felt so slow around you. The silence was the worst part, only being able to hear yourself breathing just made you feel worse. You headed over and carefully sat down on your bed, before covering your eyes with your hands.

Sure, you had been upset with your father.. multiple times. But you never wanted him to die. Not anytime soon, anyway.

From what Schlatt had said it honestly sounded like an accident to you. He fell.. about 15 feet. It just didn't sit right with you. You knew your father. Would something that easy sneak up on him and take his life? You felt like you were thinking too much about this. Of course it could, he could've slipped or tried to run..

Before you could continue your train of thought you heard a small knock on your door. "Hey, Y/N.. mind if I come in for just a second?" It was obviously Ted's voice, you could tell.

No words could escape your lips, it felt like they couldn't. You took in a deep breath before looking at the door. There was a moment of silence before Ted slowly opened your door, "Right, I'm coming in, anyway.." He muttered softly, before limping into your room. 

Just looking at him you could tell he felt awful, and seeing the state you were I probably didn't help that feeling at all. He walked over and slowly sat next to you, tapping his fingers on the bed for a moment.