26

Paramedics had rushed in and took Charlie away on a stretcher, Schlatt following them to answer any questions they may have.

As you guys suspected, quickly few police cars had showed up, too. And while the cops were checking the place out, two of the cops escorted both you and Ted out as well. It was obvious they just wanted some answers to their questions, but it was still nice to get out of there.

You honestly felt nervous. You were always raised to never trust the police, especially in the kind of family you were in. And by the way Schlatt acted, you could tell the group felt the same way.

Both you and Ted were offered a ride to the hospital which was gladly accepted, the two of you sitting in the backseat while an officer began to drive up front.

It was obvious Ted was nervous. His hand gripped tightly onto yours the entire time you two were back there. The cops immediately questioned the two of you, both of you giving occasionally answers, most of the time having to bend the truth a bit.

Thankfully all of you reached the hospital soon, only to rush inside and meet Schlatt in one of the waiting rooms.

He was pacing back and forth, his hands holding his face. Once he saw you two he immediately rushed over. "Thank fuck you two made it.." He said with a huff. "They just took him back, told me I was allowed to wait in here.. no one who comes by will tell me anything!"

"All we can do is wait and hope for the best, Schlatt.." You said softly, pulling him into a hug. He almost immediately hugged back, never wanting to let go.

Eventually you all headed over and sat down, mainly just staying silent for a while. There wasn't really much to say.

While the three of you sat there, though, after after 5 minutes Ted eventually looked over at Schlatt, nothing he still had one of his backpacks on his back.

".. Schlatt..?" He asked quietly, clearing his throat. "Do you.. uhm.. have.. y'know.."

Even though Ted didn't even get his point across, Schlatt just gave a slow nod and took his bag off, unzipping one of the front pouches. He grabbed two items and handed them to Ted, though you couldn't really see what they were at first.

Ted immediately brought his knees to his chest, carefully hugging whatever Schlatt had handed him.

".. Whatcha got there, Ted?" You asked out of curiosity.

Glancing over at you, Ted sat up a bit. "Hm? Oh, uhh.. well, when we were stuck inside without any missions to do, Charlie took up knitting as a hobbie." He chuckled softly. "At first he would try to make little patterns, then blankets, and when he got good enough,"

Slowly holding out his arms, Ted revealed two little knitted plushes, one was a little dog, the other was a cow. "He started making these things. Said he mainly made them for us, as a sort of 'comfort'. If that was his original intention with these, it sure as hell worked well." He said with a small chuckle.

"That's.. actually really sweet." You said with a smile. "Any reason in particular why it's a cow and a dog?"

Suddenly Ted's face grew a bit red, he cleared his throat a bit. "Well, when I was younger, I had a stuffed dog, which I called 'Favorite Puppy'. I'm sure you remember me talking about that, right?"

It took a moment, but soon it hit you. "Oh, yeah!" You said with a smile. "I remember you talking about favorite puppy when you moved in! You were so upset that you lost it before you took it with you."

"Heh, yeah." Ted muttered with a small chuckle. "I told Schlatt and Charlie the story a few years ago. Then on my birthday, Charlie surprised me with this little thing." He said with a smile, holding up the dog. "Said it could be the 'New Favorite Puppy'."