Welcome Back

Ri Jeong Hyeok

Today is supposedly just another day. That's what I told myself since last night to tamp down my excitement. Because this is my first day back at the hospital. After living without responsibility for three whole months, now it's time to be an adult once more. It's probably going to take some adjustments.

I can't remember when is the last time I take my paid leave. About 2 years ago, give and take. Not even for visiting my parents in Jeju, I think. Being away from surgery and things medical related is actually good for me. Considering being a doctor - let alone a surgeon - is not my first choice of career, it takes a while for me to really embrace it. But after seeing the impacts on people, how I can give them hope, it finally sinks that despite the rough start, I've accepted and come to love this profession. This time away just proves that I miss being a surgeon.

I stop in front of the hospital building, looking at the place that has been my life for the past five years. It looks exactly the same. Yet, I feel so different. Smiling widely, I take the first step towards the building.

Not quite expecting a welcoming, I stop on my track at the visual in front of me

Not quite expecting a welcoming, I stop on my track at the visual in front of me. A giant banner with 'Welcome back, Captain Ri' is on full display, and several flower arrangements are lined up across the reception area. Several familiar faces are there too. I can see Pyo Chi Su, Seo Dan and my residents from Cardiothoracic Surgery department, even my scrub nurses are there. And Geum Eun Dong, the intern that I interviewed online from Bali.

When I don't move, my best friends and my other colleagues come running at me.

"Welcome back, Captain Ri." Park Kwang Beom, my most trusted resident, nods at me. Geum Eun Dong beside him just smiles at me.

"Captain Ri, you're back." My other resident Kim Ju Meok greets me with a hug.

"You guys, stop. I need to look at him properly." My annoying shrink best friend Pyo Chi Su swats Ju Meok aside and grabs my shoulder. He looks at me from head to toe. Twice. Don't know what he's searching, I grab his shoulder and push him back so that we both stand normally.

"Looking for something, Dr. Pyo? Can we release my residents and the nurse? I'm sure they have other agenda." I squint at him. Pyo Chi Su turns around and claps twice dismissing the crowd I believe he invites.

"You heard the Captain, back to your works." I chuckle. The other except Pyo Chi Su and Seo Dan scuttle away back to whatever they're doing.

And then there's us. Our little circle of friendship started with only the two of them. When I dated Dani, they welcomed me into the circle. I never have this kind of relationship after my brother died. And almost regret it with all that happened with Dani.