(26) clicked

"Hey, sugar. How're you feeling this morning?" Caiden chirped as he entered the kitchen. Kimberly was sat at the kitchen island with a bowl of cereal in front of her. She was feeling better that morning, a lot more positive than before.

"I'm okay. Did you have a good sleep?" She asked sweetly before taking a mouthful of cereal.

"I did, thank you very much. Wonderful dreams about a wonderful girl." He winked as he made his way to the refrigerator for a bottle of water.

"I-"

"Kimberly?" Florence's voice called, releasing Kimberly from a conversation filled with awkwardness.

"Yep?" She span around on her seat just as Flora entered the kitchen.

She smiled at the girl. "I'm heading out to the store today, Mr. Mitchell had instructed me to buy you some things that would make you feel more at home. Would you like to join?" The woman was already dressed with a bag on her arm, ready to go, while Kimberly was still in her pyjamas with her hair a mess into of her head.

Kimberly bit her lip on thought. "I'd like to."

"Hurry to get dressed then." Kimberly did exactly as told and hopped off the stool she was once sitting on, and rushed on upstairs to get ready.

Caiden let out a groan. "Why did he do that?"

Florence looked at the younger man in confusion. "Do what?"

"Suggest to buy her things to be more comfortable. Now he looks like the noble man while I look like an ass."

"Well, you'll find you've been looking like an ass this whole time." Robert entered the kitchen, a smug smile on his lips. "If you have a problem with me allowing the girl to be more comfortable while she is here, doesn't that say your intentions towards the girl are wrong?"

"Will you just fuck off?" Caiden rolled his eyes, jaw locked.

"All I did was hand Florence my card so that the girl can feel more comfortable in a home that is not hers. If you got your head out of your ass and actually began thinking of her for once then you'd realise it is not about competition, it is about making sure she is happy." Robert was completely serious. It wasn't as if he was trying to make Caiden seem small, the boy did that all on his own.

Caiden began stepping closer towards his father. "You are really beginning to piss me off. Stop pretending you're the better man when we both know you were the one who fucked my head up by bringing home every whore you-"

"Ready!" Kimberly's voice chirped as she rushed down the hallway, entering the kitchen to see the Father and son glaring at each other. She stopped in her tracks awkwardly, taking glances between the two and Flora.

Florence tapped Kimberly's shoulder and ushered the back towards the exit of the kitchen. "Come on dear, let's get going."

"Wait." Robert spoke, voice deep, eyes still matched onto his son. He turned to face Kimberly, pulling her closer. "Make sure to pick up anything you like. If I find out you missed out on things you wanted I won't be very happy. Okay?"

"Yes." Kimberly nodded.

"Yes, what?" The man pushed.

"Yes sir." She wiggled her feet and lowered her head out of shyness. Then she felt Robert's lips on her forehead, leaving a kiss goodbye. Then Florence practically pulled her away to leave the home, and into the car.

"You make me sick." Caiden spat.

"Little miss clearly doesn't feel that way." Robert smirked. "You need to be soft, gentle. You're just acting like a horny boy with an inflatable cock."

"Get fucked."

"I'm sure she'd be happy to."

"Ugh!" Caiden screamed. "I-"

"Oh shut up. We need to figure out how to help Dale, so put away your insecurities and let's figure this out." Robert turned in his heels to begin making his way to his office with his Son following behind.

"Why do we need to bother? The police will do their job. If Dale really is innocent they'll soon see that." Caiden sighed. He was bored already.

"Police make mistakes. I won't allow a mistake to be made involving Dale." Robert angrily pushed often his office door, allowing it to swing back on Caiden. "So let's figure it out."

"Do you like it?"

"It's soft." Kimberley spoke while smoothing her hand over a baby blue blanket she found in the store.

"Then throw it in, we'll get it." Florence insisted. "You heard what Robert said. Anything you like, buy it."

"Thank you." They continued down the isle, Florence pushing the cart and Kimberly fiddling with her fingers.

"How about some pillows? And we can pick you out a new duvet set too." Flora spoke as she continued to stroll down the isle. Kimberly felt safe with Flora. Not the kind of safe where Flora could beat someone in a fight — of course not — but she felt like home. Like she would do anything to make sure Kimberly was happy.

And it was true. Flora really would.

They both felt safe with each other. They loved each other like mother and daughter. But neither would admit it just yet.

"Yes?" Florence turned to look at Kimberly. She had stopped in her tracks, suddenly thinking how bad everything had gotten.

"Come on, Poppet." Florence offered Kimberly her hand for comfort, and with a smile Kimberly gratefully took it.

"Thank you."

"I just find it suspicious how all of a sudden Dale is blamed. Didn't Lucy die almost ten years ago?"Robert tapped his foot along the wooden floor. He really was utterly confused. "Maybe there is someone out for Dale? Didn't he say Lucy's family believed he killed her?"

"Yep."

"Then maybe it's possible they set him up?"

"That's impossible without evidence." Caiden was relaxed in a leather chair. He looked like he could care any less about the situation.

Odd.

Robert thought for a moment. "Or money. It's known that cops will turn dirty for any sort of money."

"Will you just leave it?" Caiden snapped.

"Considering you are wholeheartedly infatuated with that girl, you'd think you'd be more concerned for her happiness." Robert snapped right back.

"She's happy here, with me. What else does she need?"

And then it all clicked for Robert. He stared down his Son, disgusted, revolted, downright baffled that his only Son would go so far. So psychotic. "You framed Dale."