(35) Tension

The living room was simply lit, only the lamp in the corner of the room lightly illuminating the three faces that stared between each other.

Robert practically glared holes into Kimberly. They had been home for twenty minutes and no one had spoken a single word. Kimberly wouldn't let up, she wouldn't allow Robert to scare her into a corner. She would make it clear that he upset her.

Caiden on the other hand was staring happily at Kimberly. The three sat at different points of the room, though Caiden didn't mind. He enjoyed looking at the girl. She was a sight that could cure pure heartache. He was so wrapped up in his own imagination that he didn't notice the glares exchanging between his crush and his own Father.

Robert wanted Kimberly to speak first. He felt that he deserved an explanation, but Kimberly refused. She wouldn't have done it if it wasn't for Robert's actions.

Robert caved. "What was that?"

"I could ask you the same thing." Kim was quick to fire back. The clock read 1am meaning Florence was up in her room, likely fast asleep by now, so she wasn't there to stop the disagreement escalating into a fight.

"And what in God's name did I do wrong?" Robert's face showed he was genuinely shocked and confused.

Her eyes went wide in anger. "You! You flirting with that bimbo!"

"Lower your voice, pet."

"Don't call-"

"And what made you think I was flirting, hm?" He leant forward, resting his elbows on his knees and clasping his hands together. "Because I fed her olives? Flashed her a smile? Got too close for your liking?"

"Yes. All of that."

"Did you once see my lips touch hers?"

"Well no but-"

"So why did you kiss his? Hm?" He slowly stood to his feet, but Kimberly simply sat back in her seat casually, showing no hint of fear nor intimidation.

"If you can flirt why can't I kiss him?"

"Because you're mine." Robert practically growled. It wasn't common to see Robert's anger bubbling to the brim, but Kimberly made him so passionate. His anger was heightened, his happiness felt like he was on cloud 9, but his sadness felt like his heart was being ripped from his chest.

He didn't like it.

He was losing control and no girl could do that to him. No one after his wife.

"She is not yours." Caiden spoke up for the first time in a half an hour.

Robert began to chuckle, but it came across dark, evil, venomous. "And why not?"

"She wouldn't have kissed me if she liked you so much." Caiden had a smirk on his face, full of confidence.

"Poor boy." Robert shook his head. "She only kissed you to get back at me. She doesn't want you. She never will."

Caiden's smirk turned into a smile. "Well she can use me to get back at you anytime." He winked.

"Get out." Kimberly sighed.

Caiden stood to his feet. "Only as you asked so nicely." He spoke sarcastically.

Once Caiden was gone she stood to her feet. "Was it a money making strategy?"

Robert furrowed his brows. "Of course it- did you not know that?"

"How would I?!" She was exasperated. "I don't do this stuff, I don't know this stuff. When I saw you looking at that woman like you could eat her all I saw was lust. And if you wanna play it that you're not mine, then I am not yours."

"I'd never-"

"No! Don't say you'd never sleep with her or flirt with someone like her. I've heard of your record. If I wasn't here you'd be bringing her home and be sleeping with her right now. Wouldn't you?" She stepped closer to him. Her confidence threw Robert slightly. He was speechless. She tugged at his tie. "Wouldn't you?"

"Yes." He spoke barely above a whisper.

"I knew it."

"But did I bring her home?" He found his voice, not letting her see him that way.

"That doesn't-"

"No. I didn't. Why? Because I want you. I don't want anyone else. It was a money making strategy and it worked. If I'm being honest I spoke with a few women that night the exact same way." He refused to lie to the girl.

"You could have told me that was your plan. Not just let me figure it out for myself then this whole thing wouldn't be happening."

"I didn't think. I forget that you aren't so clued up, and I forget that really I should come to you for those things. No you aren't my... girlfriend," Robert could barely get the word out. He hadn't called someone that word for twenty years. It turned his stomach sick. "But that's because you're fragile, I don't want to rush you into anything. But I will make sure I respect you as if you are my girl."

Kimberly stepped forward once again, this time closing the space between the two. She grabbed his tie roughly and yanked his face towards hers. As Robert went to peck a kiss upon her lips she covered his mouth with her other hand and lowered her voice to a whisper. "Don't mess me about, Robert. I can be everything you've ever wanted, or I'll be everything you'll never have. Just because I may be 'fragile' doesn't mean I'm stupid. Be wise, or I'll no longer be yours."

And with that she walked away, out of the living room and up to her bedroom. Robert stood in the dimly lit room utterly baffled. He stared at the open doorway and though he shouldn't, he did feel his trousers tightening. Any need he had for the girl was now through the roof. Never had a girl stood up to him. He never knew he liked it so much. He liked the challenge. But he never lost a challenge.

She'll be his.

They both knew it.