(50) Pain

A thumping pain radiated through Kimberly's head as nothing but darkness filled her senses. She knew she was somewhere bright, but her eyes refused to open. Her right hand moved slightly, feeling the duvet draped over her body. Slowly her eyes began to open, wincing at the brightness streaming in through the window.

She was in her bedroom.

She wanted nothing but to pull the blankets up high and fall back to sleep, but the pain in her head wouldn't allow that. She pulled the covers back to reveal she was wearing a robe. Kim's eyebrows furrowed as she got out of bed and headed for her door, needing some painkillers for the huge lump growing.

When she placed her hand on the handle and pulled — nothing happened. What is it with people locking doors with me in the damn room?

She had an idea. She searched for the iPad Robert had given her a few days prior. It was linked up to kitchen so she could request help. Searching through her drawers, having no memory of which one she actually placed it in, she finally found it in the bottom of her bedside cabinet.

But more confusion arose. She had a case to keep her iPad in, but when she opened it, there sat a toy which you would give to a child who just wanted your technology. She plopped down on the ground, baffled. What is going on?

Then she looked up at the window. Something looked off. Kim pulled at the handles to the window but once again it was locked. She stared out at the view, but it didn't take a genius to tell it was fake. Everything was too still. A film has been placed on the outside windows, giving the impression that Kimberly was at home.

But she knew she wasn't.

Robert strolled though the store with a basket in his hand. After Elijah left he attempted to read through some emails, but his mind was too clouded. He just wanted to be home with his baby. He had picked up medicine and a few sweet treats he knew his girl enjoyed before heading to the checkout. That's when he stopped at the stuffed animal isle.

Of course he had to get her one. What gentleman doesn't buy his girl a stuffed animal? He skimmed through the selection when he found a white bunny with large floppy ears. Perfect.

He scanned his items at the checkout, feeling happy to finally head home. He was heading to his car when his phone began to ring. Holding it to his ear, without checking the number he answered. "R. Mitchell speaking."

"Dad." A worried voice filled the other end of the line.

Robert could feel it, he knew soemthing was wrong. "What's the matter, son?" He threw his items into the passenger seat and started up his car, the vibrations running all through his body.

"Kimberly is missing." Caiden spoke, voice pained. Robert had no chance to ask questions before Caiden continued speaking. "Theodore had finished making lunch so I went to find her, when I got to your room the shower was on, door wide open and no one was there."

"Did you-"

"I checked every room in the damn house. She's not here, but all of her stuff is." The words raced out of Caiden's mouth. He didn't know what to do. No one would ever guess the girl would run away.

Robert's Bluetooth linked up meaning he could put his phone down and continue his phone call while driving home. His knuckles began to pale with how tight he was gripping the steering wheel. "Check her shoes, are they all there?" She wouldn't run from me... would she?

Caiden nodded even if his father couldn't see him and entered Kimberly's room once again. He opened the doors to Kimberly's closet to search her shoe-rack. Usually every slot would be filled and placed in colour order — she was very proud of how it looked. Nothing had changed. No shoes were missing. "They're all here."

"Then she must be in the house." Robert shook his head. "Have you checked the garden? Is she swimming?"

"I already told you, she's nowhere in here. I don't know where else to look. I've even had the help looking." Caiden was getting frustrated with his father. Listen to me old man.

Robert was stumped. "Okay, well I'm heading home now. Maybe check Dale's house. His keys are in the top drawer of my desk in my office."

Caiden did as Robert said and headed for his office, but that didn't mean he wasn't confused. "You think she'd be there?"

Robert sighed. "I don't know but it's no harm in checking."

So Caiden did just that. He raced over to Dale's house to check if Kimberly was anywhere to be seen as Robert rushed home, speeding through the streets.

Just as Robert got back home so did Florence. "Is everything okay?" She questioned after noticing Robert's tensed shoulders.

"Kimberly's gone missing." He spoke bluntly as he shoved open the front door, but still held it open for the woman.

Florence froze in the doorway. "What?" She felt as if she had just been stabbed in the heart. "How is she missing?"

"She may be here but no one is able to find her."

Flora couldn't help but nervously laugh. "She wouldn't have run away. She loves it here."

"That's the thing. All her shoes are still here." Robert finally realised Florence's hands were full
And took the bags from her as he usually would. "I have no idea what is going on."

Florence placed a hand on Robert's shoulder with a sigh. "She'll be okay. She's always okay. With the amount of pillows and blankets she has on her bed I wouldn't he surprised if she was taking a nap and Caiden completely missed her."

Robert hesitated but he nodded. "Yeah."

"Somebody! Will you just tell me what's going on!" Kimberly screamed, kicking the door over and over, hoping to either catch someone's attention or to break the door off of its hinges.

She threw herself back on the ground tired, upset and confused. She felt like she was in some sort of nightmare. "Robert! Please help me!" Thoughts raced through her head. As if being sick want bad enough, now she felt as if she was hallucinating

Suddenly the lights flicked off causing her to sit up, but scurry away from the door. "Mum?!" This time she shouted for Florence. A small amount of light seeped in from under the door, a shadow of someone's shoes passing by.

The door rattled slightly before it slowly pushed open, leaving a figure with a familiar voice standing in the doorway. "Relax, dear. No harm will come to you. I am simply teaching Robert a lesson."
*~*~*~*~*
manifestationhoe convinced me with her kind words to give you another chapter ;)