(52) Cameras

Everyone experiences that feeling in life where they are completely and utterly consumed with nothing but pure confusion. That feeling where no matter how hard you try the pieces just won't fit together. Leaving questions to be the only thing to linger.

Kimberly woke up in the morning with her face in the pillow and blankets pulled up high. Her right eye shot open once the memories of the previous night flooded back. She hurried to check the room. Caiden was gone. Thank God. All the turning made her nauseous. Gosh, I really am sick. After giving herself a few moment to come around and fully wake up, she realised the television opposite her bed was switched on, the sound ever so slightly filling the room.

The screen was filled with multiple different camera angles, like it was security camera footage. She stared at the large screen in curiosity. Then her heart stopped. She was watching the inside of Robert's home. She could see Robert at his office desk. Her gaze flicked to each of the cameras, taking in what each once displayed. One was of Robert's office, another of the living room, kitchen, Kim's room, Robert's room and finally Caiden's room. Though Robert's office was enlarged on the screen.

She could hear the aggravated shuffle of papers, his foot tapping on the floor. He was hunched over his desk, his usual incredible posture now vanished into thin air. His hair was a mess, he wasn't even wearing his glasses, they sat besides his computer, proving he had no intention of reading the papers he aggressively pushed about. Finally he threw his head back against his chair, slamming his fist down on his desk. "Florence!" He called for.

Soon, Florence appeared in the camera, only the back of her was seen until she threw herself down on Robert's couch, her face then being in the frame. She looked broken. Kimberly had only been missing roughly twenty hours but the pair looked... ruined. "When will the police be here?"

Florence sighed. "I called again, they said they'll be here whenever there are officers available."

Kimberly finally snapped out of some sort of trance she had been in and hopped off the bed. "Robert! Flora! Can you hear me?" She knew deep down they couldn't, but she truly wished that they could.

Robert grabbed his glass of water and threw it against a wall without moving his gaze from the ceiling. The loud crash caused Kim to jump back slightly. "Why isn't anyone taking this seriously? She's missing! She could be hurt!"

"You know-"

Then he stood from his seat and grabbed a coat off of the coat rack. Kim saw he was wearing jogging bottoms, not even getting dressed in his usual attire that morning. "If no one will look for her then I will. I'm getting her back."

Kim screamed at the top of her lungs like she was a child throwing a tantrum. Her family was hurting and it was all her fault. "Caiden!" She continued to yell as she headed for her bedroom door. Of course it was locked. Again.

She brought her foot up to make contact with the door. She kicked and she kicked, wishing it was Caiden's face. The door swung open causing Kim to stumble backwards, but before she could fall to her bottom the Devil's hand grabbed her ankle and pulled her towards him. His hands fell to her waist, holding her close even as she squirmed. "Good morning, sweetheart. Sleep well?"

"I wouldn't know. You drugged me. Remember?" She snapped, pulling away from his hold. "Why can I see Robert's home on the screen?"

Caiden glanced at the screen and smiled. "Well, isn't it obvious?" Kim stared at the man dumbfounded. "I'm not going to shut you off from the world. I've given you a calendar, a clock and now you can see exactly what's happening in the home."

"You're lying." She squinted her eyes. "I don't want to see his pain! He's in pieces! Do you even care?"

The raven haired man stepped closer once again. "But why would I care? I have my little kitty here with me."

Kim's hand shot out to push him away. "Don't touch me."

Caiden chuckled but tightly gripped her waist causing her to wince. He ran his fingers through her hair, placing a leg behind hers, trapping her in his hold. "I won't do anything without your consent, flower, wouldn't want to damage those pretty petals of yours." His voice made her feel sick. "I'll simply wait for the Stockholm syndrome to kick in, and with the need for attention that swarms your insides, I don't think it'll take that long."

There was a fire inside of Robert's chest. A fire only the sight of Kimberly, safe and in his arms could put out. He needed her. He had no sleep the previous night. All he could think about was her. Terrible thoughts of how she could be hurt, tortured, murdered ran through his head and he couldn't escape then. He stormed through two large, blue doors and up to a matching desk where a woman in uniform sat. "I demand to speak to an officer now!"

The woman looked with wide eyes. "Sir, I am going to need you to calm down."

"Calm down? Calm down?!" Robert raged. "Do not tell me to calm down. We called police hours ago to report someone missing and no one has turned up! She could be dead and no one is helping!"

Police officers began to circle Robert, finding his attitude rather threatening. One tried to reach out for him. "Sir-"

"No!" He swatted it away. "A girl- my girl. She's gone. Someone's kidnapped her. I need her. I need you to find her." His eyes held hurt, he was a shell of a broken man. "Please." He practically begged.

"Dad? Oh goodness sake. Dad!" Caiden's familiar voice caught Robert's attention. He rushed in the room and the officers parted like the Red Sea for him. "I am so sorry." He spoke towards the uniform wearers.

Robert practically fell into his son. He was exhausted, and his constant raging did nothing for his energy.

Caiden held his father up with an arm under his. "As you can probably tell my father is very distressed. I'll drive him home and then I'll come back and talk to you myself."

"Thank you." Robert sighed. "I am terribly sorry. I just love her. I can't lose her."

The officers clearly showed some sympathy for the man as Caiden walked him towards his car. Robert felt ashamed for his outburst. He just felt so lost. So useless. Caiden was the first to cut the silence. "Do you think she left just like mum?"

Robert's heart dropped. "But she left all of her things." He looked to a younger looking version of himself with blood-shot eyes.

"If she wanted to leave that bad she wouldn't have bothered with her things." Caiden placed a hand on his fathers shoulder in comfort.

"Please find her." The back of his eyes began to sting, he could feel his eyes beginning to fill up. "I can't lose her. Caiden you don't understand. I've never met anyone that makes me feel more alive. She's everything to me. I love her. I love her so much. If she wants to leave me I at least need to say goodbye."

Anyone with a soul would feel bad for the pain they are causing. They'd regret everything, even the smallest bit. But Caiden? He was soulless. Of course he felt no pity, instead he painted on a fake look of sadness when inside his happiness was gleaming. "I'll try my hardest."

Robert sat and stared out of the window while Caiden drove home. He felt like his heart was being put through a shredder. Am I really that bad? I wanted to be good enough. Good enough for her.

*~*~*~*~*
Okay, I feel bad for Robert.
Whoops
Xo