Chapter 13

Aspen stood outside the front door, waiting for his father to return home from work. He had spent most of the afternoon preparing his father's dinner to congratulate him on his first day as General of The Royal Guard and to tell him the good news. Aspen saw his fathers carriage pull up and he stood up a little straighter, and held open the door for his father, trying to keep his face monotone.

After his father had fully entered the house, Aspen followed him in, closing the door softly behind him.

"Welcome home father. How was your first day at your new job?"

"Fine." He grunted before glaring at Aspen and saying, "Would have been better if I had gotten it seven years ago when I was supposed to, but SOMEONE couldn't do anything right at school so I didn't get it then.

Aspen winced slightly, remembering that night, the same night that his mother had vanished... or left. 

"Well, I made dinner and I wanted to tell you some good news." Aspen responded as he set a steaming plate of pork chops and mashed potatoes in front of his father, along with some fresh Dragon Eye Fruit. Aspen sat down across from his father, waiting expectantly for his father to taste the supper he had slaved over all afternoon. Like usual, his father's face was impassive.

"So, today we had the big sparring tournament that we have been working up to all year. There were so many people there."

"What are you getting at boy? Are you trying to make me feel bad for not showing up? Because I don't feel bad! I had much more important things to do!"

"No father, of course that's not what I-"

"Don't talk back to me! Show more respect!" Aspen's father snarled, slamming his fist against the table.

Aspen snapped his mouth shut, his throat going tight as he held back a retort. He grabbed the first place trophy he had been hiding and placed it on the table, before looking down at his plate and silently eating.

"Too bad you couldn't have started getting those sooner." His father scoffed.

"Umm, so... Any news on mom? Has she been found?"

"What have I told you about asking that?! She is gone! She left us because of you."

"What if she didn't though, what if something actually happened?"

"Don't be so naive boy! She left and she will probably never come back. I've had enough of you and your whining and moping about. I think it's time I send you off."

"Wait what? What do you mean?"

"The schools here obviously aren't teaching you enough. You just beat a bunch of mewling thirteen year olds."

But I'm eleven. Aspen thought, but he didn't dare say it out loud. Instead he asked, "Where are you sending me?"

"Off to the same military school I went to, Lone Oak military institute. You will be leaving for it in two weeks."

"But I'm not even done this semester at Windridge!"

"I thought Windridge was a good enough school for you but I thought wrong. You are already enrolled. Now I don't want to hear anything else about this, do you understand?"