Chapter 33

Day of meeting

Ugh, I'm so tired. River thought as he awoke to quiet mumbling. River cracked open his eyes and found himself in a plain white room. He slightly turned his head and saw Aspen sitting in a chair in the corner of the room, his head in his hands.

So that's who's mumbling, well I don't want him here. River narrowed his eyes and was about to sit up, then he heard Aspen mumble his name and a few other incoherent things. On second thought, I would like to listen to what he's saying, maybe he is plotting something. River quickly closed his eyes before Aspen noticed he was awake and tried to quiet his breathing so he could hear better.

"You're probably asleep and won't hear any of this, but once again, I'm sorry. It seems like I'm saying that so much these days. I was so excited before the trip to find Thorne cause we were finally getting along and I was finally getting along with everyone else... Well except for your sister. She holds a grudge like nobody's business."

Hey! She does not... Actually, ya she kind of does.

"Maybe If I had been nicer to her from the start, she would have come back to the camp with me... Or maybe I should have stuck with my original plan and stayed distanced from all of you from the very start. Like my father said, 'you aren't going there to make friends, you are going there to actually do something with your life and be useful for once.'" Aspen grumbled, sounding almost exactly like his father.

"I'm nervous for the meeting tomorrow night. I don't know if I can face Rowan again after what happened last time. I got stronger physically, but not mentally. And what if Ashe is there? Then what am I supposed to do? I'm scared River. I'm usually too proud to admit I'm scared, but I really am scared, borderlining terrified. I just wish I had someone I could talk to about it. I thought about telling Sky, but she would just pity me. I have no one back home to write letters to and I feel like no one else understands. I know Thorne will be there and if it weren't for him, I don't know where I would be now, but still.

Huh, I never realized that I would be the person he would want to confide in. Maybe I should say something? No. Im... I'm still mad at him.

"I know you are still mad at me, especially after the latest incident, but I do miss the small friendship that had started between us, maybe one day I can earn back your trust, but for now I will leave you alone. Sorry for stabbing a hole in your armour and cutting your shoulder. I hope that somehow someone can convince Ashe to come home... Or free her if she truly is imprisoned."

I hate to admit it, but I think he's telling the truth.

"I mostly forgive you."

"Holy Shit! You were awake?!" Aspen yelped, jumping so high he basically fell out of his chair.

River burst out laughing, slapping his leg in hysteria. "I didn't mean to scare you that badly. You are so jumpy!" He wheezed out tears coming to his eyes from how hard he was laughing.

Aspen glared at him for a second then a smile broke his hard features and he let out a deep hearty chuckle. It was probably only the second or third time River had seen his features relax that much, they had seemed to harden more after he was captured but now they were soft again. He no longer looked like he was ten years older than he was. He looked like a normal teenager having a good time. Then his smile faltered and his face reddened.

"Umm, how long were you awake?"

"From when you said Ashe holds a grudge like nobody's business."

Aspen winced slightly, looking like he was expecting anger from River.