Chapter 22

Ashe's mouth hung open in shock at what she had just heard Rowan, or rather King Rowan say.

"Hold up. You are the king? How?"

"Well after I was thrown into the forest some spies from Edarek found me and brought me there, turns out, the previous Dark Element was their king. He trained me and when he could no longer rule, I became King. Edarek was created by a Dark Element so, the Dark Elements are usually always the rulers. If they get killed before getting to Edarek then the current ruler chooses someone at random and transfers most of their powers to them."

Huh. Bit of an odd tradition. "Well, thanks for saving my life, your Majesty, but I better keep looking for my dragon. You seem very nice but you are Lyeras enemy right now, I cant work with you.."

"Come on Ashe, you don't trust me? I never intended to harm your kingdom, but they want war with Edarek so that's what they are going to get. I can't let my people die. I'm not the villain here."

"But you have been conquering kingdoms all around Lyera, why would you stop at us? I just don't think I can trust that."

"All I want is Briar and maybe some trading with Lyera. We have some pretty cool things in our kingdom that Lyera could find valuable, and Lyera has fruit that doesn't grow in Edarek that would be quite divine to have, plus the light your Queen creates doesn't hit central Edarek. We've adapted, but it would be nice to be able to grow more crops."

"I understand the trading side of it and I guess the light side, but why do you want Briar?"

"I need someone to take over Edarek when I am gone and I'd rather not lose my powers again. Unless... A little break in tradition wouldn't harm anyone." Rowan mumbled and he started pacing back and forth as if he had an idea but he was trying to work it out. Ashe stood and awkwardly watched him as he thought and then his head snapped up and he smiled.

"Ashe, If I train you with your powers and help you find your dragon, will you return to Edarek with me and become the next ruler? I know it's very sudden and a big decision to make, but just think! I know the offer sounds different now that you know I'm Ederaks King, but still! You know Lumina so when you take over then our kingdoms can have their peace!"

"Why can't there be peace anyways? You could stick with Edareks traditions and I'll be a Guardian for Lyera."

"Oh Ashe. You obviously don't understand what you Guardians do. You 'protect your kingdom' Which means attacking ours because we are Lyeras biggest threat. Im the villian of Lyeras story, but Lyera, especially its Guardians are the Villain of mine."

Oh, thats a fair point I guess. He seems very sincere; I don't want to attack his kingdom but I also don't want Lyera to suffer. "Ok, I think I'll do it. I'm not sure if I want to take over Edarek, but I will accept your training and help you find Briar so you could train her to rule."

Rowan smiled and clapped his hands together in excitement. "Perfect, we can start right now! Tell me everything you think you know and show me what you can do."

Ashe summoned a couple small fireballs and lobbed them at random rocks. She then showed him a few things she could do with her axe, but none of it was as impressive as she would have liked it to be. She glanced over at Rowan who had a smirk on his face and his eyes twinkled with laughter.

"I get it, I'm terrible, I don't need you smirking at me to remind me how bad I am."

"You aren't terrible, you just aren't good either. So, your mentor probably told you that different emotions and what not affect how strong you are, correct?"