Chapter 25

Aspen stood impatiently waiting for his carriage to arrive. He was seventeen now and had just graduated from his military boarding school and his father was supposed to be picking him up. Oddly, he had actually shown up to the graduation, but of course, it wasn't for Aspen. It was to do a big speech for all the graduates because he was yet another example of the institutions successful alumni, and the school wanted him to do a speech

He probably woulndt have even come if it wasn't for that. Aspen thought to himself.

He then saw a carriage pull up and Aspen picked up his bag and stood up straight as the door was opened for him. Aspen entered the carriage and sat down, surprised to see both the Dean of the school and his father in the carriage.

"Hello Dean Hartfield, hello Father". Aspen said, formally shaking the Dean's hand. "Do you mind me asking what is going on Sir's?"

"Congratulations on Graduating Mr. Griffen. I am taking you and General Griffen out for dinner to celebrate. Two generations of successful alumnus. A General of the Royal Guard and a future Guardian. Maybe one day you could make a speech for our graduating class Mr. Griffen."

"That would be an honor Sir." Aspen replied. I never want to come back to this hellhole. Was Aspen's actual thoughts.

"So Dean Hartfield, how was Aspen's performance over the past few years?"

You would know if you ever made an effort to ask me or see for yourself. Aspen thought scornfully.

"Aspen was an excellent student. One of our hardest working ones in fact. He has a lot of drive and dedication. His schoolwork wasn't the greatest, but his combat classes and battle planning classes were excellent. He graduated in the top of his class in combat in fact. He won the battle tournament against all the military schools from across Lyera... Although I was disappointed when you didnt attend that event."

Me too Dean... Me too. You get used to it though.

"I would have loved to attend Dean Hartfeild, but I had a lot going on that week. Ah, look we are here, the finest steakhouse in central Lyera. Excellent choice Dean."

After a long and insufferable dinner, Aspen was looking forward to just going home and crawling into bed. He hadn't gotten a good night's sleep since he had first arrived at LoneOak military school. He had always been pushed harder than the other students. He was treated differently, but not in a good way. He got less free time, was always in harder classes, had a tiny dorm to himself and he had only made one "friend"

One more week till I go to the Guardian camp... Where we are all basically the same. One more week until I can get away from father and stop always living in his shadow. Aspen thought to himself as his father pretty much glared at him the whole ride home from the restaurant.

"I'm disappointed in your performance at the academy Aspen. You should have done better."

Excuse me?! Did you hear the Dean? I was in the top of my class in combat and War Strategy. Give me some credit for once in your life! Aspen thought angrily, but all he was able to say was, "Sorry Sir. I will be better."

"Good. You better be the strongest Guardian in your group... In fact you should be the strongest Guardian Lyera has ever seen. You have a reputation to uphold! Be better! Do better. Never settle. People that settle are losers and quitters. You're not a loser or quitter are you?!"

"No sir." Aspen mumbled, hanging his head in shame.

"Look at me when you are talking to me boy! That school obviously didn't teach you enough. If you weren't leaving next week I would send you off somewhere else! Maybe Edarek has a school that will get you acting proper."