Chapter 28

The journey back to camp had been long and exhausting. Aspen had fallen asleep on Thornes back most of the way home, but he awoke shortly before reaching the camp to his dragon asking where to land. 

"The gate is down there Thorne." Aspen said, pointing down to a small gap in the trees. Thorne angled his wings and gently flew down, gliding in between the tight trees with ease. They came to a stop in front of the large gates, which creaked open when the guards saw Aspen. They flew into camp and Aspen saw Opal, a blue dragon that he didn't recognize and a shiny purple-ish dragon he didnt recognize.

Sky and River made it back. How am I going to tell them about Ashe? Aspen thought as he clumsily slid off of Thorne's back. Thorne held out his wing, steading Aspen as he limped towards the group, then River came running from behind the blue dragon and Aspen's blood turned to ice.

"Aspen! What did you do with my sister?!"

What does he mean? Aspen thought worriedly, then panic set in when River came charging towards Aspen, lifting his fist.

Oh crap! Aspen half ducked, half stumbled under the fist and stood back up.

"River, what are you doing?" Aspen yelped as River kept trying to throw punches.

"How could you!" River shouted, throwing another punch at Aspen, who lifted his arm to block it, not even trying to fight back.

"What are you talking about?" Aspen responded, getting pushed back.

Aspen! Do you want me to eat him? Thorne's voice rang out worriedly.

No, he's my friend.

Then why is he attacking you?

"You betrayed us!" River snarled, kicking Aspen's knee. And not like he gently did when they sparred, it was a full on kick.

Aspen let out a cry of pain and dropped to the ground. River then jumped on top of Aspen and started punching his face, hatred and anger flashing in his blue eyes.

"RIVER! That's enough!"

Aspen covered his face with his arms, trying to avoid Rivers' punches. He probably could have fought back if he really tried, but he was so exhausted and something must have happened to provoke River this bad, so he took the punches. Then he felt Rivers' weight lift off of him. Aspen squinted through his swelling eye and he wiped his hand across his nose, blood streaked against his hand once again.

Lumina was holding River back as he strained against her, still trying to get to Aspen. Aspen shakily stood up and Thorne ran up behind him, using his snout to help stabilize him.

"River, I said I would deal with it." Lumina angrily scolded River.

"He helped my sister get captured! He doesn't deserve to have his powers." River spat, still trying to get to Aspen.

Aspen paled and stared at River in shock. "What?! I would never do that! I woke up in a camp in Edarek. I got captured. I got my powers sucked away. I tried to escape and Ashe tried to stop me! She admitted to working with Rowan! He's training her!" Aspen said desperately.

"You're a liar!" River spat back, breaking free of Luminas grasp and he charged at Aspen again, but he was blown back by a gust of wind. Sky stood between Aspen and River, tears in her eyes.

"River stop! We have to figure this out." She pleaded desperately.

"She's right River." The blue dragon mumbled.

Aspen let out a sigh of relief and slumped to the ground in exhaustion. Thorne laid down beside him and protectively curled his wide tail around them, growling slightly when anyone tried to take a step towards Aspen.