Chapter 26

"Aspen? What are you doing out here.... And on one of King Rowan's dragons?" Ashe stared at the brawny green dragon who was softly growling at her. His clubbed tail was in the air and his wide emerald wings were flared. Over his forehead, Ashe saw Aspens head poke up.

"Ashe! You're still alive. Come on, I'm escaping. Thank goodness I ran into you. Let's get out of here."

Aspen slid off the dragons back and ran to Ashe, reaching to grab her hand. Ashe quickly pulled away and backed up.

"What do you mean? I don't need to escape! And what were you thinking? Why would you attack harmless medics! You kind of deserved to be captured. Also why did you look so awful when I last said to you, you look... Mostly fine now."

Aspens face lit up with horror. "What do you mean? I didn't attack any medics! I got captured in the forest and woke up here. Why would you think I would attack unarmed medics? I know you think I'm a jerk, but I would never stoop that low."

"Nice lying Aspen. I can't let you escape."

"Are you not a prisoner too? Why are you so bloody?"

"What? Why would I be a prisoner? I was sparring with Rowan and we spar without armour, I was heading to the medics tent to get patched up."

"Wait, you were sparring with Rowan? As in the King of Edarek? Oh no. Oh hell no. Ashe, please don't say you are working for him!"

"And what if I am? He's helped me with my powers way more than Sol ever did! If you actually get to know him without trying to attack him, he's quite nice. And I'm not choosing sides. I'm just staying here while he trains me and then I'll come back to the camp."

Aspen stared at Ashe shaking his head in fear. He slowly backed up, eyes darting around nervously.

Why is he acting so weird?

"Ashe, please believe me. Rowan is not a nice guy. I don't know how he's charmed you, but he drained my powers, like completely, he's storing them in an amulet around his neck. He is keeping me and a bunch of Lyeran soldiers captive, making us all do work for him. That's why I was being dragged to my cell the other night, cause I could barely move! All of the prisoners here are prisoners of war, they arent just random workers."

"HA! As if that's possible, you can't get powers drained. I don't know what kind of lies you're making up, for all I know you could also be working with Rowan in secret and you don't want me to snitch on you. Well jokes on you, I'm not letting you leave this camp" Ashe unsheathed her sword and held it up. Come one Ashe, he's obviously weak and defenseless. Do you really need your sword?"

Aspens' eyes lit up with fear, sadness then anger as he stared at Ashe. He backed up a few paces then out of nowhere the dragon spun, whipping his wide clubbed tail towards Ashe. She managed to duck in time, but it's tail sent the sword flying out of her hand.

Ashe summoned a beam of fire and shot it at the dragon. It lifted its wing and the fire exploded across it doing nothing. She tried again but it spun and the blaze hit the other wing, also doing nothing. Why isnt it working!

"Most dragons have fireproof wings Ashe, too bad you didn't read anything Sol gave to you, then you woulndt be stuck here with the enemy. Please just come back to the camp and we can sort this all out!"

"I'm not going anywhere with you, and you're not leaving here until I talk with Rowan!"

Aspen sighed and quickly got on the dragons back, narrolwy avoiding a fireball Ashe whipped at him.

The dragon swung its tail at Ashe again, and while she was distracted it spread its wings and took off into the sky. Aw crap, I melted the clamps off. I have to get Rowan and Terrin.