Chapter 35

River sat, crouching behind a small hill looking down at the quiet Edarek soldier camp. There were a few armed soldiers and guards walking around, but not many. The camp was large and River could tell that there was at least a small battalion or large company worth of soldiers there. It was definitely large enough to hold even more and by the looks of it, that was already happening. This wasn't just a normal soldier outpost, they were preparing for something big and whatever it was, it definitely wouldn't be good.

"When do we go in?" Sky whispered, crouched on the hill beside River.

"Soon, does everyone remember their roles?" Rain asked.

"Yup! Angelica is freeing the dragons, you and River are freeing the prisoners and I am going to climb this tree and be the lookout. The dragons and our soldiers are staying hidden except for Crystal, who is our lookout in the air." Sky recited back.

How did she remember all of that?

"Very good Sky. Everyone remember, we must be as quiet as possible. Let's try and get in and out without a fight." Angelica murmured, staring at the soldiers that stood around them.

"Ok, let's go. River, wait for our signal then help Rain. We are just getting the prisoners out and slowly helping them get back to the western Lyera camp." Rain whispered, stealthily standing up, before running into the camp, quickly knocking out the guards closest to them and dragging them back over the hill to be bound and gagged. She went back and forth a couple of times, until all the closest guards, who wouldn't be missed by the other patrolling guards.

That's my cue. River thought as he slowly stood up, glancing nervously at the camp. He had trained hard for this day, this was a part of his job as Guardian, but it still terrified him. Would it be like this every time, or would the fera go away as he gained more experience. River prayed that it would be the latter, but he knew it probably wouldn't be.

"Stay safe River." Sky murmured, smiling at him, probably picking up on how tense he was.

"You too Sky." River responded, closing his eyes and letting out a steadying breath. Once his heart pounded a little less, he bounded over the hill and towards the closest set of concrete cells, where Rain had already knocked out the guard and stolen the keys.

"What's going on?" A man with dark skin asked as River walked into his dank cell and helped him up.

"We are getting you out of here, you have to be quiet though."

"Are you with Aspen?"

"Huh?"

"Aspen, the Plant Guardian. He was in the cell next to me, he promised he would be back to rescue us. Good kid he is. Anyways, I'm Tawn. Tawn Argado. Thank you for rescuing us... Water Guardian?"

That name sounds familiar. Maybe that was something Aspen was mumbling about the other day. "Of course Tawn. Head over to that hill and you and the other prisoners will be taken to the Western Lyera soldier camp. You are safe now."

The man nodded and crept towards the hill, River saw a small glint coming from one of the trees and he knew that Sky was in that tree, watching the man run across the camp to safety.

Rain and River made quick work of that section of cells and they had the prisoners point them in the direction of where the latest batch of prisoners were being kept.

Alright River, Typhoon, Crystal and I are flying the first few people back to the camp. We've got eight of them, how many are left? Riptide's strong voice rang out in River's head.