Chapter 38

By the time the sun was fully up, the camp had finally started calming down. Most of the injured had been tended to, and the Edarek camp had been cleared out. They had left the Edarek soldiers there to tend to their wounded. Usually, after winning a fight, the Lyerans would have taken over that camp, but its location made it difficult, and Lumina said that they were never fighting there to take the camp, only to rescue their soldiers.

Annoyingly, Briar didn't get to participate much in the fighting. Opal had taken her and Raymond back to the soldier camp to help prepare for the large number of people that would be in need of help. They had run around and helped the medics get beds ready, prepare salves, lay out bandages and then treat minor wounds. It wasn't exactly boring, it just wasn't Briar would have liked to be doing. Raymond on the other hand was loving it, he didn't usually seem to thrive in pressure, but he was definitely thriving in that kind of pressure.

"Maybe you should become a medic!" Briar had joked when he was busily bandaging wounds.

"Well that was the plan, but King Of Light duties are going to take that place." He had responded.

Now all the worst patients were treated and Briar was finally able to sit down and relax.

"Hey Briar, I didn't see you at the battle... Well up until you showed me where my father... Where Cliff was" Aspen said, plopping down next to her. He stunk and there was still blood on him.

"I wasn't at the battle because Lumina made me stay here and help out. I briefly went there to keep an eye on the Ederak soldiers but other than that, I've been stuck here. You should probably go to the medcis tent... And have a shower." Briar told him.

"I'm fine, they are just a few shallow cuts. Most of it isn't even my blood anyways."

"The medics are done with all of the worst wounds, go get cleaned up." Briar repeated, staring how down until he stood and with a sigh and walked away. She wasn't sure if he was actually going to the medics tent, but hopefully he was smart enough to not just wander off somewhere.

Briar glanced away from Aspen and towards the entrance of the camp, where the dragons had just returned from burning Typhoons body. He had only lasted a couple hours after Rain's death, letting himself slip away so he could be with Rain again. Thankfully he had stayed around long enough to help transport bodies, but when he layed down to rest, he just never woke up again. The bond between the Guardians and their dragons was definitely intense, the dragons were so loyal and they just gave up their life when their owners died. It was strange and felt very over dramatic to Briar, but she didn't have that bond yet, so she knew she couldn't judge too harshly.

"Everyone that can, gather around!" Lumina called out, standing in the large field where the soldiers trained.

The field quickly filled, all the soldiers whispering amongst themselves, as unsure as Briar was about what was happening.

"You all fought valiantly for your kingdom last night and while many lives were lost, many were also saved. Everyone is on the road to recovery thanks to our hard working medics, and Plant Guardians. All of you deserve a good long break and a chance to celebrate our victory! Following this meeting we will have a celebratory feast in honour of the lives lost and the victories won! Your sword brothers and sisters won't die in vain. I will find a way to make peace with Edarek no matter the cost. To Lyera!"

"To Lyera!" The soldiers' voices rang out proudly through the clearing.

"And on another note, I would like River Guthrie, Aspen Griffen and Sky Gibson to step forwards."

Briar watched as the three walked up to Lumina, looking at each other, confusion evident on their faces.

"Now I would like for their mentors to step forward."