09

-CHAPTER NINE-
OPHELIA

“Lia, I texted you last night. Why didn’t you text me back,” Diana asked as I put a few books in my locker. “Sebastian took my phone away because I punched Tanya in the face,” I answered. I didn’t regret it one bit though.

Diana snorted, “Great move by the way. Everyone in the school has seen the video and now you’re our very own Mary Kom.”

I chuckled, “What’d you text about though?” Diana said, “Oh yeah. I was wondering if you wanted to come home with me after school. I have to look after my neighbor’s daughter and my grandma’s going out for her kitty party.” I mused, “Kitty party?”

Diana rolled her eyes, “Those old bats are the worst. I love my grandma, I really do. But she needs to stop hanging out with those nosy grandmas. All they ever want to know is if I have a boyfriend and why was I not wearing the latest Valentino.” 

I snorted, “I can’t even tell the difference between a Valentino and a Versace.” Diana grinned, “That’s because we’re normal. Anyway, will you accompany me in babysitting a four year old who is obsessed with Prince Caspian?”

I nodded, “Sure, just have to ask one of my brothers.” She handed me her phone, “Make the call. I have to use the rest room.” Thankfully I had memorized all of my brothers’ numbers so I quickly dialed Sebastian’s number, totally not ready for the greeting.

“Diana?”

I froze. How did he know this was Diana’s number? “Hello?” I couldn’t form any coherent words. Why did Sebastian have Diana’s number? 

I heard him sigh irritably on the other end, “Did Lucas get in trouble again?” Again? “What,” I blurted out. “Ophelia?” I exhaled, “Yes, it’s me.” A pause later, “Why are you calling me from Diana's phone?”

I answered, “I wanted to ask if I could spend the day over at her place after school. You said I had to ask you whenever I wanted to go out.” His blank voice hummed, “Right. Yes, you can spend the day with Diana after school. Jamie will pick you up at the end of the day.” 

“Thank you, Seb,” I said and immediately regretted it. But instead of correcting me, he simply said, “Of course, Lia.” And then the line died.

I realized then that this was the first time he had called me Lia and truthfully, I liked it better than him calling me Ophelia.

“Hey did you make the call?” I turned around and stared at my friend, “Why did Sebastian have your number?” She froze like a deer caught in headlights. She didn’t say anything for a few minutes before running her hand over her face, “Did he say yes?” I nodded. “Okay then. I’ll tell you after school.” 

“Tell me what?” A nostalgic smiled crossed Diana’s face, “Everything that ever happened between Lucas and I.”

Blake was extremely happy with the decision he had made when he agreed to hire Tony as his intern. It had been a full week since Tony had started interning, and he had been able to be more helpful than any other previous interns Blake had mentored. 

Tony had managed to complete supervision in the Manufacturing department along with the recent shipments under the span of three days, which was quite impressive considering how big and tiring both the jobs had been.

Blake had admitted to himself of being attracted to the twenty-one year old, but he knew better than to make a move on someone who was working for him. Office romance was something that was not tolerated by Sebastian at all. Romance, in general, seemed to irritate Sebastian. 

Blake remembered the times when his brother used to share personal feelings with him. The first kiss Sebastian had shared with Nancy Polis in second grade and the first time he had given flowers to a girl (except their mother) named Rita Ortiz in third grade.

Blake had felt like those girls who gossiped about their new flavor for the month, but it was just another way Sebastian and him had bonded.

He remembered the time he had told Sebastian about how his first kiss had been a boy, and Blake wondered if it was normal for a boy to like another boy. His then thirteen year old brother had laughed on his face and said, “Of course it’s normal. Why would it not be?” 

Blake had felt such a relief when he had discovered that no one from his family minded Blake’s pansexuality. And he had been grateful to Sebastian the most for helping him through the struggle he had endured while coming to terms with the fact that he was not straight.

It wasn't that he hated not being straight. He'd just need to figure out if he liked all genders or not. Heterosexuality, for Blake, seemed to confining.

“Dad knows,” Sebastian muttered and Blake raised his eyebrows, “About Lia?” When his brother nodded, he continued, “Doesn’t matter though. He still cant come home, ja?” Sebastian’s hard face remained intact as he went through the bills. “You think that’s going to stop him,” he asked Blake. 

Both the brothers knew just how ecstatic their father was to finally embrace Lia. But circumstances weren’t in their favor. James was to be hidden away until Sebastian could confirm that none of their enemies were still in power. 

“Any news from Fitz,” Blake asked. Fitz was one of their trusted man who had volunteered to go undercover in Russia to make sure their enemies remained in dormancy, that is, if there was anyone left of the Bardugo family.

So far, they had learned that no kin of their enemy was surviving, and though Blake didn’t know it, Sebastian had been considering bringing their father back home. 

“No survivors.”

“That’s… good. About time the war ended,” Blake mused. “Does Dad know what she looks like?” Sebastian nodded, “Sent him the same picture we received.” Like the brothers, James too, was cautious not to interact with Lia, which would’ve been easy considering how he wasn’t even in the same country as his children. But that hadn’t stopped James before.

Nevertheless, Blake knew his father must’ve felt the same joy upon seeing how much Lia had grown up as when he had first taken her into his arms as a newborn baby.

The oldest two boys and their parents had a sense of relief upon Lia’s birth when they saw that the little baby ending up looking exactly like her mother.  Because nobody knew what would've happened if she had ended up inherited her father's looks.

-
this one is a bit smol. apologies if there are any mistakes in the chapter, i didnt really edit much of it.

also, put in a little easter egg for y'all. 👀

next chapter, diana spills da tea ☕😗