24

-CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR-
OPHELIA

It was not safe to say so. 

I already knew it was going to be a disaster the moment I saw the book. But did that realisation stop me from going ahead and buying it for him the next time I saw him? No. It did not.

It was the first of December when Diana dragged me to Barnes & Noble to buy what seemed like about a million books for herself. And me. She was kind enough to hint me on my birthday gift by telling me how a few of these were going to be part of my birthday gift.

And as she was busy with doing her shopping, I decided to explore around a bit and see if anything would interest me. Tucking in the shiny black credit card Blake had handed me, I roamed around a bit, before I saw the book.

To sleep in a sea of stars.

I had just begun to read this book, and I was immediately in love with it. And my first thought when I realized that was how much I wanted Tony to read it. So without thinking for another minute, I took it and put it in the basket. If I was going to distance myself from Tony, maybe this could be a peace offering for my actions. 

When I caught up with Diana at the counter she gave me her signature ‘I know you’re upto something and it’s not a good idea’ look and I gave her my signature ‘I don’t know what the hell you’re talking about’ look. 

“You already have that book,” she pointed out. “I know. It’s for a friend,” I retorted. She faked a sympathetic look, “Oh honey you don’t have any other friends.” I scoffed, “Rude.” Diana snickered, “Seriously who is the book for though?” 

I didn’t give her an answer. Because she didn’t give me any time to. 

“Oh,” she gasped, “It’s for the other boy, isn’t it?” I blanched, “How did you know that?” She frowned, “I didn’t. It was a shot. And you just proved it!” 

I grimaced the entire way from the store to Diana’s apartment, not once saying a word. I knew Diana had been dying for details but I had to keep her quiet since Jamie was with us during the ride, and I didn’t want to risk Tony’s identity by merely mentioning about another boy.

“I don’t understand Lia,” she said as she closed her bedroom door behind her. I sat down on her window sill which overlooked the neighboring building on Lenox Hill. “Look, it’s a peace offering,” I said. “How so?” I sighed, “Well obviously I’m with Elijah now and-” 

“Did he ask you,” Diana interrupted me. I frowned, “What?” She repeated, “Did Elijah ask you to be his girlfriend?” I thought for a moment, “No.” Diana smiled sadly, “Then you’re not together. And before you say, no, being on two dates and kissing once does not mean that you guys are together. He has to ask.” 

“Oh,” I muttered dejectedly and looked at my fingers, nervously playing with them. Diana’s next words made me look up at her, “On the bright side, you could sort your shit out with the other boy right now.” I asked, “What?” 

Diana sighed as she threw herself on her bed, “Well, I do remember that smile you had on your face when we were rudely interrupted by your brother.” I remembered that day, it was after Tony had asked for my number. “And from what I could tell, you clearly liked that boy. I don’t know if you still do now, but whatever. So, maybe it’s best if instead of a peace offering, you can go and actually talk this out with whoever it is instead of keeping him in the dark.” 

I thought for a minute and realized just how stupid my idea of peace offering sounded. “Okay. I’ll talk to him. But when?” Diana gave me an incredulous look, “ Now, dummy. Text him and ask if you can meet up. I’ll help you sneak away from your bodyguard for a while.”