37

-CHAPTER THIRTY SEVEN-

Tony’s hands shook as he clutched the empty paper cup in his hands. He couldn’t hear anything over the beat of his own heart as he sat stiff on the hospital chair. He didn’t care if Blake was sitting beside him, his body as stiff as Tony’s and he certainly hadn’t cared for the glares his boss, Sebastian, had shot him when he had arrived at the hospital.

It had been seven hours since he’d gotten a call from Michael. And his world had crashed at the news. Ophelia had been in an accident. And the possibilities of her surviving hadn’t been looking great.

Tony had dropped everything at that moment and rushed to the hospital. He hadn’t thought a second about how his bosses would react to seeing their intern rushing into the hospital like this, he hadn’t cared for anything but Ophelia in those moments. 

He had felt a sense of guilt. He shouldn’t have let her go home in such state, and he certainly shouldn’t have shared the information he’d known would destroy her. But like it had been said before, she deserved the truth, so he gave some of it to her. Tony didn’t known what he would do if…

No.

He shouldn’t think like that. He needed her. He needed her to wake up so he could tell her how much he loved her. He needed her to wake up so he could tell her the truth. She deserved it. She deserved the truth. Even if it meant he would lose her forever. 

Five hours into the operation, a news of heartbreak had been announced. A death. A death Tony wasn’t really responsible for, but he felt like he was. He kept thinking how he could’ve done it differently. How he could’ve saved two people from losing all the hope and love in the world. How he could have saved a life. 

If he hadn’t told Ophelia about her real relation to her brothers, then she wouldn’t have rushed off like this to her house. She wouldn’t have confronted her brothers, only to discover a horrifying reality. She wouldn’t have passed out, or woken up discombobulated only to leave with her Corvette yet again in panic. She wouldn’t have phoned Diana in distraught, she wouldn’t have picked up Diana from the mall and she wouldn’t have driven in such a weak state of mind. 

She wouldn’t have seen the drunk driver coming the wrong way. She wouldn’t have lost control of the car. And she wouldn’t have lost consciousness, just as her best friend had begun to die slowly beside her. 

If it hadn’t been for Tony, Diana would’ve been alive right now. 

If it hadn’t been for Tony’s determination to come back to New York in a state of vengeance, Diana would’ve been alive right now, and Ophelia wouldn’t be on a hospital bed fighting for her life. 

Tony had no idea what Lucas was going through, and honestly he didn’t want to imagine. He was too scared to imagine losing the only girl he’d fallen in love with. 

“How long,” Blake asked in a low voice. “What,” Tony asked, confused. “How long have you been together,” Blake gritted out. Tony lowered his head, “A little over month.” Blake’s eyes glared holes into Tony’s head as the latter squirmed, “Do you love her?”

“Yes.” Blake hummed, and then asked, “Do you think you deserve her?” Tony knew he didn’t. So he said the truth, “No I don’t. But then again, neither do you.”