28

-CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT-
OPHELIA

“Aw come on. We just want to know why you rejected Elijah,” Michael whined. I gave him a look as I exited the building, my twin brothers hot on my trail. “I just told you why.”

“No, what you did was make up a lie and tried to feed it to us. Now tell us the truth,” Daniel pressed. “I did not lie to you. I said the truth,” I argued. “Is it because of Seb and Blake?” Michael’s question stopped me. 

Partly, it was. We- Tony, could get into big trouble if those two ever found out about us. And though I sometimes too wished to kiss my boyfriend in a park, or hold his hands while walking down the streets, I knew I couldn’t do that.

Ophelia Morgenstern could not have one simple thing in her life.

“N-No,” I stuttered and mentally smacked myself. “Aha, so it is about them,” Michael smirked. “You do know that they don’t mind you dating Elijah right,” Daniel ‘informed’ me. I knew already they didn’t mind Elijah. But Elijah was not who I was with. 

I wanted to tell someone about Tony other Diana so bad, but the thing was I didn’t trust any of my brothers. Yes, slowly they had managed to creep into my heart and make space for themselves, even Sebastian did, but I couldn’t trust them enough with this. 

But I wanted to tell the twins, since regarding this, I trusted them the most. 

“Fine. It is about them,” I said. Michael whooped but frowned when I continued, “But not about Elijah.” 

The twins stared at me, and then in synch gasped. “There’s another boy,” Michael realised. “That’s why you rejected Elijah,” Daniel questioned, and my side eye was my answer. I squirmed visibly, realising what would happen if the twins didn’t react in my favor. 

“Lia.” I looked up at Daniel’s soft voice and realised that I had been holding back tears of frustration. Michael instantly hugged me as the first tear escaped, Daniel still looking at me with a soft expression. “There there. It’s okay Lia. You can like and be with whoever you want. Nobody will stop you,” Michael tried to console me. 

“You don’t understand,” I whispered loud enough so Daniel could hear too. “Then help us,” he said. I sniffled and Michael pulled away. He wiped my tears off with his thumb and squeezed my cheeks lightly, “Me and Daniel are always going to be by your side no matter what. So what if Sebastian and Blake don’t like this boy, they’re not the ones dating him. You are. And if he makes you happy then that’s all that matters.” 

His words made me want to burst into tears even more, but I managed to bury it down. I sniffled again, “He’s… He works with Blake as his intern.” The twins shared a look. “Well, Blake has many interns working for him. You’re going to have to be more specific,” Daniel said. 

When I hesitated, Michael squeezed my hands as a reassurance, “You can trust us Lia. We won’t tell anyone. Especially you-know-who.” He bobbed his head to Lucas, who was now leaving the building. Telling Lucas was probably more dangerous than telling Sebastian, especially since Lucas would beat Tony first and ask questions later unlike our eldest brother. 

“The youngest one,” I replied swiftly. “Ah,” Daniel’s eyes shone with recognition, “We’ve heard about him. He’s some kind of protégé, yeah?” I blushed at the compliment, even though it wasn’t for me, “Yeah. He is.”