36

-CHAPTER THIRTY SIX-

“Goddamnit Blake! She doesn’t even fully know how to drive yet and you’re telling me she was able to leave?!”

“Lucas calm down! We will find her!”

“She’s not at Diana’s!”

“Blake how could you be so careless, knowing she was right here in the house!”

“Well maybe you should’ve taken her out so she wouldn’t do shit she’s not supposed to do!” 

The voices blurred as Ophelia closed the door behind her, the sound of it echoing through the empty mansion.

Ophelia stood still, her eyes on the floor, her cheeks splattered with dry tears as she felt all of her brothers come running into the foyer. She looked up at Sebastian as Blake sighed with relief, “Lia I’m so sorry-” He’d begun toward her but stopped when she stepped back.

Her eyes were filled with tears and hard as they looked at Sebastian. He looked more weary than he would’ve liked to admit, but that was what usually happened when your sister almost ran away. 

“How can you lie,” she asked quietly, her voice hoarse from all the crying. “How can you see a person everyday, with a smile on your fucking face knowing just how much you lie to them, every single day!” 

No one dared say a word. Not even Sebastian, who had been quiet the entire time. The tension in the room dripped from the air as the Morgenstern siblings stood together, with everything out from the shadows. Or so poor Ophelia had thought. 

“Lia I know we shouldn’t have hidden the basement from you but-” Ophelia cut Lucas off “I don’t care about the basement.” She rested her exhausted body against one of the pillars in the foyer. “I don’t give a fuck about your basement, or whatever the fuck you did to Jessica Spade.” The tension thickened as the brothers’ heart began to fill with fear. 

Just how much did their innocent sister know about the truth?

“Is it true,” Ophelia asked Sebastian. “Is it true that I’m not your sister?” Ophelia ignored how her voice broke. “Who told you that,” Nico asked softly. “It doesn’t fucking matter,” she snapped. “Is it true Sebastian? I’m not your sister?” 

When Sebastian didn’t reply, Ophelia began to lose it.

“Is it fucking true?” She lashed out. 

Her blood boiled under her skin and she felt hot. How could they do this to her? How could they betray her like this? 

“No, it’s not true. You are their sister. Just as much as you are my daughter.”  

Ophelia looked at the strange man who had come out of the kitchen. His face seemed familiar, though she was sure she had never seen him before in her life. But when he walked to stand next to Blake, her eyes widened. 

It was him. Her dad.

“Dad,” she asked in a haze and James gave her a watery smile, “I’ve missed you princess.” He held out his arms, as if he was waiting for a hug. But Ophelia didn’t walk toward him. She didn’t move at all as her eyes scanned all of her brothers.