Chapter 3

The sun was shining throughout the Outlands and the sky was clear. It was such a beautiful day. Even the water tasted better when Kovu drank from it this morning. The brown lion cub looked up in the air, smiling. There's nothing that could ruin this day. Kovu thought.

He was near the abandoned mice hole, waiting for Kion. Kovu was very nervous, but didn't understand why. Yesterday he felt comfortable being around the yellow cub, but today was different. He felt like he needs to impress Kion. But for what? So Kion would like me even more? So we would hang out more often? Why is that such a big deal to me? Kovu wondered. We're just becoming friends, right?

"Hey Kovu!" Kion greeted. Kovu snapped out of his thoughts, looking a bit shocked the yellow cub was already here.

"Oh, uh, hi!" Kovu said nervously. "I didn't see you coming."

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." Kion chuckled.

Kovu chuckled as well, not really sure what to say next.

"So, are you ready to train how to track animals?" Kion asked.

"Yeah, definitely!"

"Great!" Kion smiled and stepped closer towards Kovu. "Every animal has their own scent. Since there are many scents around us, you have to be focussed on just one: the one you want to track." Kion explained while sitting down.

Kovu nodded, listening carefully.

"Let's make this into a game." Kion suggested. "Try to pick up my scent and then we'll go hide and seek."

"Games in a training? I like this already." Kovu said.

"What's the fun with training without games?" Kion chuckled, as did Kovu.

Kovu then sniffed the air, close to Kion. He picked up a scent he usually doesn't smell: this must be Kion's.

"I think I got it." Kovu said.

"Good! Now, close your eyes and count to 20. And when you're done, try to use nothing but your nose to find me. I won't go too far."

"OK!"

With that, Kovu faced a wall and closed his eyes. While Kovu was counting, he could hear Kion walking near him, going into different directions. Then he lost Kion's sounds.

When Kovu finished counting, he examined his surroundings. There were some big rocks nearby Kion could've hided, all over the place. Kovu sniffed the air, trying to follow Kion's scent. He went a certain direction, but the scent faded away. He turned around so the scent would get stronger, but then it started to fade away again. Kovu didn't want to give up and tried a new direction. Now the scent is going stronger!

Kovu followed the scent that was getting stronger the more he walked towards it. He then noticed a big rock in front of him and smiled. He charged and jumped onto the rock and noticed the yellow cub behind it.

"Gotcha!" Kovu said proudly.

Kion was surprised. He faced Kovu, who was on top of the rock.

"Wow, that was pretty quick! You're a fast learner." Kion said.

"Thanks!" He smirked at that comment. He was happy that Kion complimented him.

Kovu got down to stand next to Kion.

"You're pretty easy to track." Kovu teased.

"Only because I let you!"

"I'm sure I could catch you if I want to."

"Wanna bet?"

"Oh, it's on!"

Kion ran off as fast as he could and Kovu followed. They were running equally fast.