Chapter 5

Kion was shocked when he suddenly saw Ono and Fuli in front of him. "Oh, uh, hi guys. What are you doing here?" he asked very nervously.

"Well, since you were acting really strange today, I kept an eye on you." Ono replied.

"You spied on me?"

"And I'm glad we did! Why in the Pride Lands would you help Kovu, an Outlander, hunt a gazelle?" Fuli said.

"Look, I just wanted to help him out. Right now he's having a hard time and I thought I should help him."

"By letting him kill an animal you're supposed to protect? Kion, this isn't you! You know he's a bad lion. What's going on?"

"You don't know what it's like to be an Outlander, Fuli!" Kion replied. "Besides, you don't know him like I do. He isn't a bad lion! He's actually really nice and a good friend."

"What? Friends with an Outlander? Are you sure that's a good idea?" Ono asked.

"Yes! I don't care if he's an Outlander! He's really smart, and brave, and kind, and... I..." Kion thought for a second.

"You what? Do you like him?" Fuli asked.

Kion looked onto the ground and sighed before answering. "I... I think I do. You wouldn't understand."

"You're right. I don't."

Fuli then turned her back on Kion and left. She made her way to the watering hole. Kion watched her as she walked away from him. He then looked at Ono.

"We're not gonna tell anyone. But you need to sort this out." Ono said. He then flew away, following Fuli.

A tear was running down from Kion's cheek. Great, now my friends know about my secret. This couldn't get any worse. he thought. But he figured that Ono was right. He needs to sort this out. But Kion doesn't want to do that now. He has to regroup with his Guard anyway. After a few deep breaths, he made his way back to the watering hole.

-----------

The Guard were doing their afternoon patrol. They were pretty quiet. Besthe and Bunga had no idea about Kion's secret, but they could feel something was going on. No one knew what to say. They hoped they will be done soon with their patrol.

"HELP!"

The Guard heard the scream and Ono flew higher in the air to get a good look. His eyes became yellow and saw a young giraffe standing on a rock in the middle of a river with no escape.

"Hapana! There's a giraffe stuck on a rock in the river! The current is too strong to swim." Ono reported.

"We have to safe him! 'Till the Pride Lands end..." Kion began.

"LION GUARD DEFEND!" the rest finished.

The Guard rushed towards the river and found the giraffe. Kion came up with the idea to make a bridge. He looked around, but unfortunately there weren't any nearby trees or logs they could use. Then he thought of something else.

"Besthe! You're strong enough to stand in the river. Stand behind the rock so the giraffe can climb on your back. Ono, Bunga, you go with Besthe and make sure he gets on Besthe's back safely."

"You got it Kion!" Besthe replied as he jumped into the river, on his way to the scared giraffe.

"Zuka zama!" Bunga said as he jumped onto Beshte's back. Ono followed them.

Besthe managed to walk in the river, but it took a lot of effort to keep his balance. He made his way to the rock where the giraffe was standing on. He rested on the rock to spare some energy.