Chapter 15

Picture by StefanWolfSalvatore on Deviantart

It's over. It's finally over. The war between the Outlanders and the Pride Landers has been won by the Pride Landers. Everyone worked together as a team, but it was especially thanks to Kovu they've won. At least, according to Kion.

As Kion was laying down on his back in the royal den next to Kovu, he stared at the roof, thinking about everything that happened today. He glanced to the other lions in the den, who seemed to be asleep. Kiara was in the den as well. Even though she was still hurt and healing, she's doing much better than right after the attack.

He then saw Kovu getting up and walking out of the den. Kion noticed that his ears were down, which made him concerned. He decided to follow him.

Kovu sat down on the tip of Pride Rock, looking all over the Pride Lands under the stars. "Kovu?" he suddenly heard. He turned around and found Kion who was now sitting next to him.

"Hey Kion." he replied, looking at the kingdom again.

"Couldn't sleep either, huh?"

Kovu sighed. "It's my fault my mother died... And now I lost my siblings too, probably for good."

"Hey, it's not your fault. And you didn't lose them for good, I'm sure they will understand some day."

"Yeah right..." Kovu responded sarcastically.

"Believe me, they will be proud of you, like I am right now."

Kovu raised his eyebrow as he made eye contact with his friend. "Proud? Why?"

Kion chuckled. "Don't you see? You figured killing Simba wasn't the solution to the food problem and it would only solve Zira's needs. Then you told Zira's plan to me, even though you were afraid of losing me. And then you even wanted to stay with me after Zira attacked me and I told you to go away. You were willing to give up your family and your home, just for me. And in the end... You were the one that told Zira and her clan the truth and convinced the lionesses that Zira is a bad leader. Really, you've earned so much respect for doing all of those things."

Kovu smiled, looking towards the ground. Maybe it was for the best indeed. he thought. Maybe my siblings will forgive me some time.

"I know it must be hard seeing your family leave their home, but if I'm honest, I'm really glad I have you on my side." Kion continued. He then laid his head on Kovu's shoulder.

"I'm glad I stayed here with you too." Kovu responded and rested his head on Kion's. They both purred.

They rubbed each other's heads to one another for a while, until Kovu broke the silence. "Kion, can I ask you something?"

"Of course."

Kovu pulled his head away to make eye contact with his friend. "Is it weird I still miss my mother, even after everything she's done?"

"No, I think that's normal. She was still family."

Kovu sighed. "Do you think she really is in a better place, like Nuka said?"

Kion smiled at him. "Let me show you something." he said as he gestured to Kovu to follow him.

The brown cub followed and they both went down Pride Rock. Kion searched for a nice grassy area to lay down on and soon found one. He laid down on his back.

"Come, join me." Kion said as he rubbed his paw against the grass right next to him.

Kovu made his way towards his friend and laid down next to him with all his legs in the air. They looked at the sky. All the stars were shining brightly and looked amazing. Both cubs stared at them, admiring their shapes.