Chapter 7

Kovu kept running towards his home, even though the dark clouds were long gone. He was still sobbing, knowing he hurt his friend badly. What do I do? He probably never wants to see me again! he thought. How can I convince him I'm not like Scar?

Kovu arrived at the Termite Mounds, where Zira was waiting for him. He tried to hold in his tears and not show any emotion as he approached his mother.

"Where were you? It's been afternoon long ago!" Zira asked angrily.

"I'm sorry, I forgot. I was just searching for some mice."

Zira growled. "Enough with the excuses! You're going to the battle field right now!"

Then, something snapped inside of Kovu. He would never go against his mother, but he couldn't bear his anger and sadness any longer. "No, I don't want to." he responded.

Zira gasped from her son's response. "How dare you talk back to me like that? You need to train whether you like it or not! If you ever want to take down Simba, you need to be prepared!"

"I don't want that!" Kovu screamed. "You want Simba to be dead, but I don't!"

Kovu ran away from his mother, deeper into the Outlands. He had no idea where he was going, but he wanted to be far away from home.

"What is wrong with that cub?" Zira asked herself. She knew something was up, but couldn't figure exactly what it was. She decided to let Kovu be. He'll be back. she thought.

---------------

When Kion finally calmed down, he made his way back to the Pride Lands. He knew his Guard was probably already waiting for him at the watering hole. But he also knew he couldn't work right now. This morning he couldn't come up with a plan to safe the giraffe, maybe he would slow the Guard down even more since his mind is all about Kovu.

As Kion arrived at the watering hole, he told his Guard he was sick and that he wasn't joining the afternoon patrol. He headed towards Pride Rock, leaving his Guard with confused looks. He went in the Lion Guard lair and laid on the flat rock above the pool with water. Kion sighed as he rested his head on his forelegs. How could he just use me like that? he thought. Why did I help him in the first place? He doesn't deserve my help. He doesn't deserve to have that gazelle. He doesn't deserve anything from me! Kion could once again feel tears coming out of his eyes.

Eventually, Kion decided to leave the lair, afraid of his Guard members to show up here. When he went outside, he saw Fuli approaching to Pride Rock. The Guard are probably done with patrol. Kion thought. Fuli headed to Kion immediately when she saw him.

"Kion, are you alright?" she asked.

"No..." Kion looked onto the ground while he flattened his ears.

Fuli sighed. "Let me guess, Kovu doesn't like you the same way?"

"No, it's not that. He... He told me a secret. A very bad one."

"What is it?"

Kion wasn't sure if he should tell this to his friend. He looked Fuli in her eyes and eventually figured she'd help him. "He said Zira has a plan. She's training Kovu to kill Simba and become King of the Pride Lands." he finally said with an angry tone. "I can't believe he used me like this!" he added.

"What? Are you sure? I thought you said he was kind and sweet."

"Yes, I'm sure! I mean, well, he said he doesn't want to be a part of this plan, but I don't believe him. How can I trust him ever again?"

Fuli started to think. "So you think he only likes you because you're Simba's son?"

"Yes!"

"How did you two actually meet?"

Kion started explaining how he met Kovu while he was checking the borders for trespassers. He told Fuli what happened and what they'd do during their meetings. When he was done, Fuli started to smile.

"Kion, you were the one helping out Kovu when he was under attack by Janja's clan, and you helped him to search for some small animals. You even wanted to help him to track animals the next day. Kovu wasn't searching for you, you wanted to be with him. I really don't think Kovu wants to kill your dad, but wants to be with you too. Why else would he tell you the plan? He's being honest and truthful towards you."

Kion sighed and thought for a bit. "You really think so?"

"Yes. It makes sense. He told you the plan because he likes you."

Kion started to smile. "Yeah, you're right. I don't know what I was thinking. I was so angry when he told me. I almost roared at him."

"We've all seen it. Dark clouds needed to come from somewhere." she chuckled. "But it's okay. You should talk to him."

"Yeah, I really should."

"But you need to be careful. Who knows what else Zira's planning, especially if Kovu doesn't want to be a part of her plan."

Kion nodded. "Thank you, Fuli. You're a great friend."

"Happy to help!"

------------

He won't come. Kovu thought. It has been a day since he has seen Kion and went to the place they usually meet. He was hoping to see Kion to sort things out, but his hopes were low. Why would he come? He probably doesn't want to see me anyway. What do I even say if he comes? 'Sorry for hurting you'? No, that's stupid. Kovu started to pace around. Eventually he let himself collapse onto the ground, laying on his side. Kovu sighed. He couldn't figure out what to say if Kion was here.

"Kovu?"

Kovu immediately stood up. Behind him was Kion. He actually came! Kovu thought. "Kion! I... I didn't think you would come."

Kion wanted to get immediately to the point. "Kovu, I'm so sorry for being angry with you. You were just being honest and I threw you out. I was hoping... Can you forgive me?"

Kovu threw his head under Kion's chin, hugging him with his upper body. "I was never mad at you. I'm the one who should apologize."

Kion hugged Kovu back, rubbing his pelt against Kovu's. "No need to. I understand why you told me. I'm so glad we're friends again!"

"Me too."

Both cubs broke the hug and looked into each other's eyes.

"So, what are you gonna do? Will you keep training?" Kion asked.

"I'm not sure. I guess I have to. I can't go anywhere else."

Kion then came up with an idea. "Do you want to live in the Pride Lands?" he offered.

Kovu's eyes widened. "I... Do you think I'm allowed?"

"Well, if I talk to my dad, then maybe I can convince him for you to live with us."

Kovu started to think about his family. Do I really want to leave them? He then shook his head. If they only want me to be king, then I'll better join a pride where I'm accepted. "I'd love to! I can't think of a better place to be." Kovu responded with a big smile.

Kion smiled as well. "I can't promise anything yet! But I'll make sure my dad's gonna think about it."

Kovu nodded in agreement.

"So, what do you wanna do now?" Kion asked.

"Hmm. I really enjoyed our time at Hakuna Matata Falls."

"Great! Let's go then!"

--------------

Both cubs had no idea they were being watched this whole time. The second Zira saw her son leaving the Termite Mounds, she decided to follow him to see what's up with him. Then she saw Kion arriving, and then it hit her: he was being friends with the son of Simba! When she saw them from a distance hugging each other, all Zira could do was watch in disgust. As soon as she saw the cubs leaving the Outlands, she returned to her territory, already thinking of a solution to this 'problem'.