Chapter 8

Kion and Kovu had a great time at Hakuna Matata Falls. They played tag, swam and even played hide and seek. The cubs were enjoying their time with each other, not wanting this day to end. Unfortunately, the sun was about to be in the center of the sky. Kovu noticed as he looked up.

"You have to go, huh?" Kion asked.

Kovu sighed. "Yeah, I guess I have to."

"Don't worry, we'll see each other again." Kion said, smiling. "In fact, I think we should meet again tonight."

"Tonight?"

"Yes! I'm going to talk to my dad anyways and I want you to tell the news as soon as I can."

Kovu started to smile as well. "Okay!"

"Let's meet at the mice hole when the sun is fully set and everyone's asleep." Kion suggested.

Kovu nodded. "I can't wait!"

"Me neither." Kion then gave Kovu a lick on his cheek, making both cubs blush. They giggled.

"I better be going. Thank you for talking to your dad!" Kovu said.

"No problem! I'll see you tonight."

"Okay, see ya!"

And so the lions were heading to their homes. As Kion was walking, he started to think. How do I even start? Kion thought. How can I convince my dad to let Kovu stay in the Pride Lands? Then he thought about his conversation with Fuli, that Kion should talk to his parents about his feelings for Kovu. I know just how to start. he thought.

-------------------

"Kovu! There you are. Where have you been?" Zira asked.

"Just searching for some small animals to eat." Kovu answered.

"Hmm. Is that so?" She knew way too well about his secret meetings with Simba's son, Kion. But Kovu didn't know that.

"Well yes, I don't like eating termites all the time."

Zira smirked evilly. "And who's fault is that?"

Kovu sighed and looked to the ground. "Simba."

"Who banned us into the Outlands?"

"Simba."

"What do you need to do?"

"Kill him."

"Exactly! Now, will you train to become a great killer, or will you disobey me again and be a disappointment?"

Kovu got mad, but he kept his anger inside. He knows he can't argue with his mother. Yesterday he ran away after he told his mother not to train, and got punished for it: no termites for him. He was afraid for more punishments if he keeps disobeying Zira. "I'm sorry mother, I will train." he finally said.

Zira smiled. "Good." she said, as she gestured to Kovu to follow her to the battlefield.

"I'm keeping you under supervision from now on." Zira said on their way.

"What? Why?"

"I cannot have you run off like you did yesterday again. From now on, Mwalimu and Bosa will keep an eye on you. You're not allowed to leave the Termite Grounds. Do you understand?"

Great. Even if I play nice, I still get more punishments. Kovu thought. "Yes, mother."

-----------------

After patrol, everyone in the Guard headed to their homes, including Kion. He went to Pride Rock and immediately searched for his parents. He found them laying in the royal den. Apparently Kiara was hanging out with Tiifu and Zuri outside.

"Hi mom, hi dad." Kion greeted.

"Hello Kion, aren't you playing with your friends?" Simba asked.

"No..." Kion sighed.

"Is there something wrong?" Nala asked.

"No, not exactly..." Kion felt extremely nervous and had trouble speaking. "It's just... I... I don't even know where to begin."

Nala stood up and sat in front of her son. Simba followed. "It's okay. You can tell us anything." Nala said with a caring tone.

Kion was a little more at ease and sat down as well. "Well... I like someone... And I'm afraid to tell anyone, but I think I have to."

The King and Queen chuckled. "There is nothing to be afraid of, sweetie. Love is a beautiful thing and I'm happy you've found someone." Nala said.

"So, who is this 'someone'?" Simba asked.

"Well..." Kion took a deep breath. "It's Kovu." Kion answered.

"Kovu? Zira's son?" Simba gasped.

Kion looked down on the ground and flattened his ears, before nodding.

"Are you sure? You've only met him once." Nala said.

"Actually... I've been seeing Kovu lots of times. I'm sorry for not telling you, I was afraid you would get mad. But I really like him."

"What were you doing then in all those times?" Simba asked.

"Just talking, playing and stuff. I even taught him how to track animals by scent." Kion said, a bit proudly.

"You did what? What's next? Invite him into the Pride Lands?"

Kion could hear the anger in Simba's tone. He got scared, but he needs to stand up for Kovu. With a lot of effort, he continued. "I... Well... I want him to live in the Pride Lands..."

"Absolutely not, Kion! You have to stop seeing him." Simba said, still with an angry tone.

"No please, I really want to be with him!" Kion protested.

"We simply cannot trust Zira's followers, especially if they're family." Simba explained.

"But he isn't a follower! He told me he doesn't want to be like Scar! Please dad..."

Kion looked to his mom, who was unsure how to feel about this.

"Your father is right, Kion. You know what crime Zira committed, yet she still has followers. We don't know what Kovu is really up to and cannot be trusted." Nala said.

"No, you don't understand. I do know what Zira is up to. She has a plan and Kovu is a part of it, but he doesn't want to." Kion explained.

"What plan?" Simba raised his eyebrow.

"Zira is training Kovu to kill you. But Kovu told me he doesn't want to do that and wants to be with me. Please, believe me! He isn't evil like Scar, or Zira!"

"Kion! Are you hearing yourself? Zira wants to kill me and Kovu is hanging out with you. Isn't it obvious Kovu is using you to get to me?" Simba said.

"No, dad, you don't know him! He..."

"Enough! I don't want to hear another thing about it. You are NOT seeing Kovu ever again! Am I making myself clear?"

Kion felt tears coming from his eyes. "Y-Yes dad..."

Simba then walked away. As soon as he left the den, Kion started to cry. Nala immediately hugged her son tightly with her front leg, comforting him. Kion buried his muzzle in his mother's leg.

"I love him, mom! I want to be with him!" he said.

"I know, sweetie, I know. But you need to understand, it's very dangerous to be with him."

Kion started to calm down a bit, but was still sobbing. "Then why would he tell me the plan? If he really wants to use me to get to Simba, then why did he tell me?" he asked, looking back up to face is mom.

Nala kept silent. She started to think that maybe Kovu really likes Kion too.

"It's because he loves me! Just like I love him!" Kion continued.

"Even if that's true, Kovu can't live with us. Zira could start a war if we allow him in the Pride Lands."

"I don't care." Kion took a deep breath. "I need to be alone." he said, before leaving the den. He was so upset his father wouldn't even listen to him. Now what? I'm not giving up on Kovu! he thought. But Kion couldn't figure out what to do next.

Nala sighed as she saw her son leaving. She knew he was really upset. And after processing what Kion told her, she too was convinced Kovu loves Kion. Otherwise Kovu wouldn't have told the plan.

She got up and went to the top of Pride Rock where Simba was. He was looking at the kingdom and could even see Kion heading to the watering hole. Nala sat down next to Simba. "Are you okay?" she asked.

Simba sighed. "Out of all the lions, even all the animals... He likes Kovu. Why does it have to be him?"

"I know Kovu reminds you of Scar. But from what I could see, he really loves him and I don't think Kovu means any harm. I think you should meet him."

Simba looked at Nala confused. "You're out of your mind."

Nala chuckled. "I'm serious. Kovu told Kion the plan. This has to mean something big. I truly believe they're meant to be together."

The king however, still had his doubts. But he still trusts his mate. "I'll think about it."

"Thank you." Nala said.

-------------------

It was night time. Kovu was laying in a large den where all the lions usually sleep. He waited for everyone to fall asleep. As soon as he figured everyone was, he quietly stood up and made his way to the entrance of the den.

"And where do you think you're going?"

Kovu gasped and froze. He immediately turned around and saw Mwalimu approaching him. Bosa was up as well and decided to wake up Zira.

"I, eh, I was just heading to the watering hole." Kovu answered nervously.

"Hmm. In the middle of the night?" Mwalimu asked while raising an eyebrow.

Zira got up and approached them. "What's going on?"

"I'm just thirsty, mother." Kovu answered, still with a nervous tone.

Zira noticed her son was nervous and was evilly smiling on the inside. She knew what Kovu was up to. "Very well. Mwalimu, take Kovu to the watering hole and come back with him." she ordered.

Mwalimu nodded. "Let's go."

With that, Kovu had no choice but to go to the watering hole with Mwalimu. I should be with Kion. he thought. How can I distract them? I can't just run away, they'll go after me. Kovu sighed. When they got to the watering hole, Kovu took a few sips, while Mwalimu kept a close eye on him.

"You done yet?" Mwalimu asked, obviously annoyed she had to watch the cub.

"Yes."

"Good."

They both headed back to the den. Kovu was still planning on how to meet Kion tonight, but he couldn't think of anything. What if Kion thinks I don't want to meet him? What if he thinks I don't want to live in the Pride Lands anymore? Kovu was really worried.

As they arrived in the den, Kovu noticed his mother wasn't here. "Where is mother?" he asked, looking at Bosa.

Bosa smiled evilly. "She'll be back. Don't worry about it."

Kovu figured something was off. "Why would she leave?"

"Look cub, either you go back to sleep or wait with us until she comes back. Your choice." Mwalimu said.

Kovu growled. "I'll wait." he said.

He had no idea what was going on. Where would she go? It isn't like her to go anywhere at night. Kovu thought. All he could do, is wait for her to come home.