Chapter 9

Kion managed to sneak out of the royal den while everyone was asleep. He made his way to the Outlands and looked out if anyone saw him. He definitely doesn't want to be followed right now.

Kion still was a bit depressed. He hasn't talked to his parents about Kovu since this afternoon and it hurt him to tell Kovu he isn't allowed in the Pride Lands. How am I supposed to tell him that? he wondered.

He arrived at the mice hole to meet up with Kovu, but Kovu wasn't there yet. He figured his friend would be here sooner or later. What am I gonna say when he gets here? I really don't want to get him upset. Do I even tell him I'm not allowed to see him anymore? No way! I don't care what my parents think, I'll just keep seeing him.

"Hello, Kion..."

Kion twitched his ears. This wasn't Kovu's voice. He turned around and saw an adult lioness evilly grinning at him.

"Z-Zira...?" he said in shock. He looked at her with wide open eyes.

"Oh, did you expect someone else? Well I'm sorry to disappoint you." she said sarcastically.

"What do you want?" Kion asked with a calm yet dominant tone. He wanted to show her how fierce he was and that he doesn't step down that easily.

Zira approached the cub. Kion got in a pouncing position and growled as soon as he saw Zira approaching him. He wanted to be ready for every move she'd make. "Why the anger? You seemed to be very nice at my son Kovu..." Zira said.

Kion was shocked when he heard that and got distracted. Zira immediately took her opportunity and pinned Kion down within seconds. She put most of her weight on the yellow cub to make sure he has no escape. The once fierce lion, was now terrified for his life.

Kion knew he couldn't get away now. How does she know about Kovu and me? he wondered. He looked at the lioness above him and was absolutely terrified. "W-What are you gonna do w-with me...?"

Zira continued smiling at him evilly. "Don't worry, cub. I'm simply here to deliver a message..." she said as she pulled up her front leg, showing her claws. Kion closed his eyes as he knew what was about to happen.

-----------------

After what took like forever, Kovu finally saw his mother coming back to the den. He was still with Bosa and Mwalimu at the entrance of the den, waiting for Zira. Even though Kovu was a bit sleepy, he still wanted to know where Zira went.

"Mother, where were you?" he asked as Zira arrived. Kovu noticed there was some blood dripping from her claws. Did she go on a hunt? But where's her pray? Kovu was really confused.

"No need to worry about Kion anymore, son. I handled it."

Kovu's heart skipped a beat as he heard his mother's words. No... This can't be... Did she kill...? No, no! Without having second thoughts, he ran out of the Termite Mounds to search for his friend.

Bosa wanted to go after him, but Zira stopped her. "No, let him go. He needs to see this for himself." she said with an evil grin.

Kovu kept running while tears were running down his cheeks. He was worried sick about Kion. "Please, let Kion be alright." he prayed. He couldn't imagine Kion being hurt, let alone... gone... No, I can't think like this! I need to find him! he thought.

After a few minutes, he arrived at the mice hole. He panted heavily as he looked at his surroundings. He then looked on the ground: there was a small pool of blood. Oh no... he thought. He found a trail of blood and followed it. It wasn't too long before he found Kion. The yellow cub was dragging himself with his front legs towards the Pride Lands to seek help. Kion couldn't stand on all fours and it was clear he was in a lot of pain.