Chapter 10

Kion opened his eyes as he started to wake up. He found himself still in Rafiki's tree as daylight was showing through the leaves. The cub groaned softly, since he still had a headache.

"Hey Kion, how are you feeling?"

Kion turned and saw Kovu laying next to him on his belly. He looked happy, but also concerned at the same time. Did he really wait for me to wake up? he thought. "Hey Kovu. I think I'm alright. My head still hurts though."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I hope you'll get better soon."

"No need to be sorry. You saved my life." Kion chuckled. He gave his friend a sweet smile.

Kovu sighed. "I just... I can't believe my mother would do this to you. If only I knew, then... Then I could have stopped it."

"No, Kovu, don't blame yourself. You didn't know." Kion got closer to Kovu and nuzzled his head. This made Kovu more at ease.

"I'm glad you're okay." Kovu said.

"And I'm glad you're here with me." Kion responded, before smiling at him again.

Rafiki climbed up the tree with a bowl in his hand. "Good morning, Kion! Do you feel better?"

"Hey Rafiki. Yeah, much better than yesterday."

"Good, good! Here, you should drink." Rafiki said before laying down the bowl with water right next to Kion.

Kion took a few gulps until the bowl was empty. "Thanks, Rafiki."

"It's all good. Now, let's take off the bandage." The wise baboon then took off all the vines and leaves that were bandaged around Kion's wounds. The cuts were still clearly visible, but at least they dried up.

"There we go." he said as he took everything off of Kion. "It looks like your wounds haven't been infected, which is really good news. Can you try and stand up?"

Kion did what he was told and stood up. To his surprise, he managed to stand up on all fours without too many problems. "It still hurts if I move around." he said.

Rafiki nodded. "Yes, that's normal. Take a good rest for a couple of more days before you're doing patrols with the Guard. The pain will ease itself." Rafiki advised.

Kion nodded in agreement. "Thank you for your help. I really hope the Guard can go a few days without me. What will I do in the meantime?"

"They're the Lion Guard, I'm sure they'll be fine!" Kovu said optimistic. "Besides, I can keep you company."

Kion turned to Kovu and smiled. "Yeah, I'd like that."

Rafiki saw how the two cubs were happy with each other and smiled on the inside. "Well, take a good rest. If you need some more help, you know where to find me."

"Alright, thanks Rafiki!"

------------

Both Kion and Kovu made their way down the tree and were heading to Pride Rock. Kion's parents probably want to see him, he figured. As they arrived in the royal den, everyone was catching up with each other, including with Kiara, Tiifu and Zuri. Not long after, Fuli came into the den, looking for Kion.

"What in the Pride Lands? Kion, what happened to you?" she asked as she saw Kion's wounds.

"Don't worry, Fuli. I'm doing fine." he assured. "Long story short, I was attacked by Zira, because I was seeing Kovu multiple times."

"That's horrible! Can you even go on patrol with us?"

"I'm afraid not. Rafiki says I should rest a couple more days before I can join the Guard again. You can take over the lead in the meantime."